Trusted Contributor

Re: My husband with Alzheimer’s had a stroke.

@Vivian Prayers for you & your family.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian- I am so sorry to read your news.  I am keeping your husband and you in my thoughts. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Vivian My heart goes out to you. I completely understand the emotional roller coaster you're on. It's hard, but you've got to stay buckled in. 

My mom battled Alzheimer's for the last ten years of her life. Her's was the very agitated, paranoid type. When illness was becoming the most difficult to manage, she broke one hip in January and the next in December of the same year. It was unbearable to watch and assist, but I got her back on her feet with a walker.

My being an RN, her management fell entirely on me. I finally had a 24 hr a day sitter to keep her safer. I managed the nursing aspects, retiring earlier than planned, since I was over stretched. It was very expensive, but I refused to place her in a memory unit somewhere.

Then my DH passed, followed by four other family members, including my SIL at 45 with pancreatic cancer. My mom was the last of them to pass. I had such a sense of relief when she did, since I had never seen anyone so tormented. I remember talking to her doc about her suffering. He said: 'Sadly, at a certain point,  the caregiver is the one that is suffering the most. That's always the truth of it.' 

I'm so glad you're setting some priorities with the family and taking off to visit your mom with your kids. You have to try to take care of yourself and not lose yourself in the battles.

Try to find time for laughter and just being silly, whenever you can. And don't feel selfish in doing so. It has some healing power. Wishing you the strength needed to take on your challenges, while nurturing your own health. 

Esteemed Contributor

My prayers are with you. You have so much to worry about and handle, take care!

🙏🏼 ❣️

Honored Contributor

@Vivian 

I send hugs and prayers of strength to you.  

For my husband and I, based on our written wishes in our living wills, this would be the point where palliative care, or hospice takes over, no PT, no rehab.

Esteemed Contributor

I pray things get better for you @Vivian Sending you hugs.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian  I am so sorry to hear about your husband.  You have a LOT on your plate and have for quite a while.  Enjoy your mom's celebration, it will be a nice relief from the stress at home, even tho only for a short time.

Honored Contributor

98 Prayers ideas | prayers, sending prayers, pray

I'm sorry for all you are facing right now.    

Respected Contributor

So very very sorry you are going thru all of this. 

Trusted Contributor

Vivian,

How awful to have more thrown at you.  I will keep you in my prayers as the caregiver.  I'm glad you will spend time to enjoy your mom's 100th birthday, no matter how fragile she is. 

Please be sure to take care of yourselfHeart.