Esteemed Contributor

My husband with Alzheimer’s had a stroke.

Just when you think life is challenging enough (husband with dementia, dog dying of cancer, mother turning 100 but in very fragile health), my husband had a stroke. He is paralyzed on his right side and the MRI (among many other tests) revealed the damage. This does happen to Alzheimer's patients more than the general population but it's just awful. He has been approved for the rehab facility in the hospital and his first PT session went well but I fear that his nighttime confusion and belligerence will not only impede progress but get him expelled from rehab. He's already on meds to calm him down. More could make PT impossible. My kids are with me and will take me down to my mother's hundredth birthday party and I will fly home that night. On that day, Mom is priority #1. My friend will beagle-sit.

Respected Contributor

Re: My husband with Alzheimer’s had a stroke.

Oh my, @Vivian you certainly have more than your share right now and your hands full.

I was going to say I hope you have some support around you, good people who are friends..

I'm glad you have kids with you, and that you'll be at your mom's party to "make her priority #1" that day. I hope it is a wonderful day for your mom and family, and creates a beautiful memory for you all. God bless her, 100!

Prayers and thoughts to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Vivian I'm so sorry to hear this.  My thoughts and prayers for you and all concerned, will be with you today and in the coming days.

Respected Contributor

Vivian - I am so sorry that you have to deal with so many challenges.  I will be praying for you and your family.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian My heart breaks for you.  My mother had end stage Alzheimers for 10 years.  My dad faithfully took care of her (My sister-a nurse put an addition on for them to help him out when it just got to be too much).  It is such a physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausting journey.  Until you deal on a day to day basis with a loved with dementia/Alzheimers you just can't imagine.   God Bless your dear mother on reaching 100!!  Prayers that God's hands will reach down and hold you and your family close in his healing hands and provide you with love and support through all of these tough times.  

It's funny now when I look back when my daughter was 3 with cancer and working full time, being pregnant with her brother, going back and forth to Boston for 8 years, I say "how in God's name did I do that?"  Then I realize.."in God's name"  yup that's how I did it.  Head down, smile up pushed through it even though there are times you think you can't go further, your heart couldn't break into any more pieces than it already is...you find your strength.  May you have a beautiful Mother's Day. (((hugs, blessings and prayers)))  

Honored Contributor

So very, very sorry.  Sending prayers.

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@Vivian My heart breaks for you.  My mother had end stage Alzheimers for 10 years.  My dad faithfully took care of her (My sister-a nurse put an addition on for them to help him out when it just got to be too much).  It is such a physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausting journey.  Until you deal on a day to day basis with a loved with dementia/Alzheimers you just can't imagine.   God Bless your dear mother on reaching 100!!  Prayers that God's hands will reach down and hold you and your family close in his healing hands and provide you with love and support through all of these tough times.  

It's funny now when I look back when my daughter was 3 with cancer and working full time, being pregnant with her brother, going back and forth to Boston for 8 years, I say "how in God's name did I do that?"  Then I realize.."in God's name"  yup that's how I did it.  Head down, smile up pushed through it even though there are times you think you can't go further, your heart couldn't break into any more pieces than it already is...you find your strength.  May you have a beautiful Mother's Day. (((hugs, blessings and prayers)))  

Thank you for that post.  So kind of you, and so right.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian , You certainly have so much going on, enough to drive a person crazy, take care of yourself.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Vivian 

May He bless you and give you the strength to support all those in need around you.

As for the belligerence you see, that may be pure frustration with his new " state " of post stroke as well as the new normal of Alzheimer's.  Those familiar with his condition know what to expect and that the belligerence will slowly fade.

My mother had Alzheimer's and when she first went into assisted living, she took on another behavior:  she went from mild-mannered, even tempered pleasant person to a cane-wielding, angry individual.  Thank goodness they took the cane away and gave her a wheel chair which she couldn't swing at care givers.

Peace and grace....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Vivian   I am so sorry you are carrying so much sad weight, and I applaud your decision to join your mother and the rest of the family to celebrate that momentous 100th birthday.