Honored Contributor

Re: My grandsons keep calling me.

We never answer the phone unless we recognize the caller or phone number.  Since they never leave a message, we have never had to talk to any of these scammers although I admit some of the comebacks posted here are pretty good!

Honored Contributor

I hate it that so many people fall for this.

My grands each have a special nickname for me and anyone who tried to pull this stuff would NEVER know those! All I'd do is ask for it and that would be the end of that.

Of course I'm smarter than scammers anyway so doubt the convo would get that far!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

My mother does not answer any phone call except mine, and my brothers.   All 3 of us have explained the grandparent scam call to Mom in that her grandchildren have good jobs, and have NEVER and will NEVER call her for money!   They have parents to handle any financial need.  

The main thing for Mom to remember is that her grandchildren call her a name that we've never even heard before.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We haven't had one since I screamed at the guy "you are dead to us, out of the will, and next time you step on this property and Pops shoots at you, he will be aiming higher!"

@RedTop,

Lol! Way to go!😄 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

This scam is happening with younger folks too.

Several years ago, our friend's son received a call from his young teen daughter.  She was crying on the phone and then a man grabbed the phone from her and made a demand for money.

the young father..mid 40's is divorced from the child's mother.  The call was so intense that he thought his daughter was kidnapped. The father was hysterical and crying on the phone begging for his daughter's life and safety.

Finally, the live in girl friend called the teens mother on her cell and found out his daughter was okay.

I personally think it was somone he knew.  The guy is always flashing large wads of money and he sells luxury cars and always drives something flashy.  

If the girlfriend didn't keep a clear head, he would have been out of hundreds of  thousands of dollars.  He was willing to wire his last dollar to save his daughter and he has money.

It could happen to anyone, not just elderly folks.

Honored Contributor

There are grandparents who virtually no relationship with their grandchikdren.  They see them for a few days once a year sometimes not that often.  They don't even know what the grandkids sound.  So, when they get a call out of the blue, they are anxious to help.  They even feel good that the kid called them for help.  

Honored Contributor

If you have a podcast app, search for "The Perfect Scam", produced by AARP. The stories are riveting and I can't believe the things people will fall prey to.  If you get a call that sounds fishy the safest thing to do is to NOT engage. Just. Hang. Up.  The people on the other end are professionals and it's their goal to keep you on the phone as long as possible in hopes of hooking you in.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Zhills 

Quite scary. DM had call from "police" in the city that DGS lived.  Just how do they get those facts?

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@Zhills 

Quite scary. DM had call from "police" in the city that DGS lived.  Just how do they get those facts?

I think they get it from Facebook.  People - both grandparents and grandchildren - disclose so much online.  The scammers put two and two together to make a convincing phone call.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr  And that's just one more reason I will never use  Fakebook.