Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

Our family is very small so we were able to get together.  If any of us are at work or go anywhere, we all wear masks.

My first cousin is medically sensitive, so he hasn't been joining us like he usually does.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the risks. We have not had the virus and have followed all guidelines - my husband desperately misses seeing his large family. He will be two days away from his second Covid vaccination when he goes to a family party in March. Over half of those attending have already recovered from Covid, some will have been vaccinated while others will just wear masks. I will not go because I'm not yet eligible for my vaccination, and we've been good for so long so I'm not going to mess it up now! Could he bring Covid home to me? He said he will not eat and will drink bottled beverages. Still, I'm not sure he should attend. 

The timing of this gathering is not so good, @AuntG, because he won't have reached his peak immunity yet. He should wait two weeks after his SECOND vaccine before taking that risk,

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie  My concern is that people who get the vaccine will think that they are safe.  No!  The vaccine will only lessen the severity of the virus if you get it and you can still transmit the virus.  I know it's boring but still necessary--wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands.

@kaydee50 I agree!  A lot of people seem to think that the vaccine will prevent transmission.  It's not designed to stop from getting infected.  It's designed to keep one from getting very sick if you do get infected.

Honored Contributor

That's nice, I hope you all have a good time and wear masks since some you won't have had the vaccine.  My extended family has been discussing when we will get together.  We think in mid summer after everyone has had the vaccine.  It will be so nice to gather together again and not have to wear masks.  

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 ...........My point is we dont need beat over the head constantly with warnings.  By now I am sure we are all aware of the danger.  I dont see the need to burst her bubble.

I know that the vaccine does not mean we wont get covid but  to a lesser degree, just like the flu, pneumonia or shingle immunizations.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)