Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

No - the car is not just a thing - and No - do not forgive and forget.

Many people try to get away with things - especially in this New America.

Esteemed Contributor

"Hit and run" and the person didn't go far. If this was done on the street it would have been difficult to find the person. Your insurance Co. would have had to fix the car. Hope the person has insurance so that they can held accountable.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a hit and run on my car at Sam’s.  I called the police to get a police report. The next day I got an estimate and 2 days later police called, they had gone through the video and they found the person, 16 year old kid. 

The parents paid for the damage without using insurance. The kid had just gotten an expensive speeding ticket and they didn’t want insurance to go up. I was fine as long as my car was fixed.

Esteemed Contributor

For the few here who suggest that the OP forgive and forget, when did it become acceptable to the break law and get away with it because we don't want to create problems for the lawbreakers? Or, because we're afraid that they might retaliate against us? Good grief - the OP is not going to have her car while it is being repaired, and unless she has insurance to cover a rental car she'll be responsible for that as well. Hopefully the neighbor has insurance to cover her expenses, but does that make the "hit and run" acceptable? When this much damage is involved, it's not right to just "forgive and forget". Let's put responsibility back where it belongs.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

That's a nice thought but HER insurance company would have to pay the damages and then they may consider her in high risk area and up go her premiums. 

I'd let the guilty pay for it.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@nana59   so,r police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

wow....i never knew that.....

I never did either but yeah, they won't.  It's the way of the world now.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@on the bay That's why we have always had Uninsured Motorist coverage.

This poster nailed it.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

Sadly I've attended funerals for several family members & friends so I don't give a ****** about things. A car can be fixed, insurance covers damage & I could forgive someone doing a dumb thoughtless thing since no one got hurt. The forgiveness & forgetting would be for MY mental health...it's been a stressful time & a lesson about what's really important. I try to xet a good example, maybe it helps others & maybe it doesn't.

You sound like you're in a lot of pain.  I'm sorry.  Hope you feel better soon. XXOO

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

i was thinking the same thing....about how the police knew whose door to knock on!!

Because of where the accident took place, the officer had an idea that it was a neighbor. All he had to do was look for the transfer of paint.

EXACTLY.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I don't blame you!  That was an ADULT and they knew exactly what he was doing.  

The police know exactly how to question someone to get the truth out.  I taught several policemen as well as several State Troopers.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.  Yes, they do the good cop, bad cop routine and before the subject knows it, they slip up and tip their hand.  This is only one technique though out of many.