Respected Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@CrazyDaisy The neighbor committed a hit and run and that's why the police came and they knew who to look at. Where I live the police will respond to a hit and run.

Not a matter of "responding" to a hit and run accident.  The OP went to the police station to file a report of property damage.  

The PD is just down the street from me at the time I saw no reason to call them out. I was unsure where it took place because I wasn't there when it occurred. So it just made sense at the time. Knowing what I know now, it would have been better to mak the call. Shoot, never had an accident ever.

Respected Contributor

It's already in the hands of the law; leave it there. You may not be able to collect from them once you let everything go legally, and you'll be facing another problem! If they ducked out on you once, they're probably people who try to get over most of the time. Let it be a lesson learned for them, and not a lesson learned for you...when they weasel out of paying you. Don't get burned twice by them. You'll be doubly disappointed with them! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!!  Again, it's in the hands of the law now.

Respected Contributor

This happened to my friend during a visit to my house.  She parked her car across the street from my house in front of the neighbor's house.  We visited until the wee hours.  When she left to go home, the driver's side of her car was smashed in.  The next morning my next door neighbor confessed to me that his wife had been drinking and backed out of her driveway and wasn't looking behind her and smashed the car.  She didn't report it because she was afraid she would be ticketed for DUI.  Her husband gave us their insurance info and the claim was paid.

This was the same neighbor who's teenage boys shot out my living room window with a BB gun.  They were target practicing.  Fortunately my son saw it happen.  I made them pay for a new double pane window.  

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar   They should have come forward, but who knows, maybe someone without a license was driving, drunk driver, underage teen, who knows - or no license/no insurance.

If there is a way for them to pay for the repair, then I would not press charges as long as the payment is done in advance to repair your car.  

Don't accept the cash from them, it would appear that they are paying to have you drop the charges.

If me, as long as they pre-paid the full amount to the vehicle repair place, and had no way of retracting the payment (like disputting a credit card charge), then I wouldn't press charges.  The police may also suggest that too, since it would save the court costs, etc.  and you are living next to these people and don't want any problems in the future. 

It's not great that they did this, but think long term.  Ultimately, you want the car fixed, and no trouble with your neighbors (and their friends who may also be neighbors).

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Let the police and the insurance companies handle it now. 

Make sure you go to court if you have to.

I bet they confessed to the accident because they think ( maybe rightly so) that there are security cameras somewhere that show the whole thing( even if there aren't!)...and lying to the police is another crime!!

Let the insurance companies handle it from here.

And if you HAVE to pay a deductible, take them to small claims court to recover it.

Judge Judy has these cases on all the time. People must pay the deductibles to get thier smashed cars fixed, then they go after the person who did the damage for that money.

Only fair.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 The police filed the charge as a hit and run and the OP has no say so in whether it's "dropped" of not.

Anyone who commits a hit and run needs to pay the penalty, whatever that may be.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@nana59   so,r police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

wow....i never knew that.....

That's because it isn't true.  Police have to respond to every call...that is their job.

They will respond to emergency calls first, so they might not be there within a few minutes, but they will show up.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm sure all the police had to do was look around at the neighbors cars to see who had front end damage, run the plate and knock on their door.

I don't think the OP can do anything about the fine the police levy against the neighbors.  All she did was get a police report for insurance purposes and report the accident.  What happens after that is not on the OP.

Hopefully the OP doesn't have to sue them to get the money to pay for repairs.

@VaBelle35 

I agree with your first two paragraphs. 

The third paragraph makes no sense, since the OP's own full coverage insurance will cover the damage if the other driver does not have insurance. 

Some people don't want to go through their own insurance, so they have the right to sue in small claims court.  Her insurance may also make her pay the full deductible. Some people carry high deductibles to lower their payments.  So if she has, say, a $2000 deductible, she could go to small claims to due to get the $2000.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@BirkiLady @VaBelle35 

Actually if there's a problem it'll be up to the OP's insurance company to sue to recoup their loss

It depends.  See my other response.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Teddixat Maybe not a criminal record but there is a reason these creeps hid what they did. When someone does that there's a reason. Likely bad driving records and no insurance.

Yes, I am assuming!!!

@Love my grandkids 

Nah. It could be as simple as they just don't want to pay for it! People evade their  responsibility all the time in situations like that. I learned a long time ago always call the police even in a minor fender bender

@Mustang Shar Is it even up to you whether the charges stay? I think the most important thing though is getting your car fixed and it not cost you anything. I don't really think they deserve leniency...they had no consideration for you whatsoever...

Was it a teenager or an adult that hit your car?

@Andreatoo  @Mustang Shar 

People here are assuming they were SOBER .......   

IMO, it's also possible that at the time of the accident they were under the influence and who knows if they've had previous DUIs.