@CrazyDaisy wrote:
Police must have had a slow day.

@CrazyDaisy 

I love your signature quote!! Who said that? It's really terrific

Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mustang Shar  drop what charges? You didn't bring charges against him. The Officer did. There is nothing you can do about you and I hope your neighbors know this.

The Officer advised, if I don't show up at the hearing, the fleeing and eluding charges would be dropped. So I must follow through

@Mustang Shar 

I guess that makes sense. They need a complaining witness to say that they actually left the scene of the accident.

I have a thing for old Mustangs too! I've always wanted a 1965!

Also the P1800 series Volvo.  I've been wanting one of those forever

B7672566-5E3E-436A-8C76-1C5A6CE152BC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar    I feel your pain.    I had a neighbor (in an assigned underground parking place) keep smacking my drivers' side door.   I "spoke to him"........his reply, "What do you care....it's just an OLD CAR."    Huh....it was a classic Mustang.....and I took him to court.  (I've been driving those for 51 years, although I now have a 6th generation).   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Thank you @Love my grandkids!

I'm going to look into that!

My daughter was hit by an (you guessed it- unusured, unlicensed driver). But wouldn't our insurance pay for anything we needed if they didn't have insurance? 

Or maybe I should just google. Don't want to go Off topic😬

(seems to be a no no around here).😳

Edited to add-yea I do have it!

I have progressive-been with them for many years. For me they were always cheaper then Geico.

Uninsured Motorist coverage pays when the other driver doesn't have insurance or doesn't carry enough liability insurance to cover your damage.  Most states require it and some states only have to offer it to you.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I understand your anger. Totally. But for because it is a neighbor who knows where you live and who might harbor anger, you might have been better off to have dropped charges.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar I completely agree that you have every right to be angry and upset, but why take the chance of making things worse by prosecuting them?  Ask them to apologize and cover the damage and then drop the case.  Unless one of you is planning to move in the near future, it could get nasty.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you did the right thing to report it to the police. I wouldn't be afraid of repercussions because I chose right vs wrong. If they were honest and forthcoming, this would not have occurred. They chose to be dishonest and to not be held accountable for their actions. I applaud you for your actions. Let those neighbors suffer the consequences. Hoping everything goes well for you in the future. 

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm sure all the police had to do was look around at the neighbors cars to see who had front end damage, run the plate and knock on their door.

I don't think the OP can do anything about the fine the police levy against the neighbors.  All she did was get a police report for insurance purposes and report the accident.  What happens after that is not on the OP.

Hopefully the OP doesn't have to sue them to get the money to pay for repairs.

@VaBelle35 

I agree with your first two paragraphs. 

The third paragraph makes no sense, since the OP's own full coverage insurance will cover the damage if the other driver does not have insurance. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady @VaBelle35 

Actually if there's a problem it'll be up to the OP's insurance company to sue to recoup their loss

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@CrazyDaisy The neighbor committed a hit and run and that's why the police came and they knew who to look at. Where I live the police will respond to a hit and run.

Not a matter of "responding" to a hit and run accident.  The OP went to the police station to file a report of property damage.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.