Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@nana59   so,r police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

wow....i never knew that.....

That's because it isn't true.  Police have to respond to every call...that is their job.

They will respond to emergency calls first, so they might not be there within a few minutes, but they will show up.

No police do not respond to every call, depend where you live.  In many places when involved in an accident, if there are no injuries, you are told to come to the station to file a report.  

The police will not always show up if there is an unreportable accident.  If the Parties involved are not hurt, did not damage anyone's property but their own cars and can drive their cars from the scene, they are expected to exchange info and leave.  There is no reason to involve the police or even get a police report.

If there are injuries, or the cars must be towed, or property damage is done....like hitting a stop sign or someon's fence, or a hit and run, the police need to get involved and they will absolutely show up.

So then you agree, police do not respond to EVERY call.

No, I do not agree.  Once you call 911, the dispatcher notifies the police or other emergency responder.  They must respond to EVERY call and do a written report on the call. If it is  just a small bump accident that is not reportable, the police will call you and get info on the phone.  If at that time, it is not reportable, they will tell you and advise you if it is not necessary for them to show up and explain what you should do.  Often, they show up anyway.

They cannot just not show up if 911 is called.

My DH was a full time police officer for 35 years and a part time one once he retired for another 10 years and my oldest son is a police officer as well.

I got to hear about some crazy calls they responded to....they have changed light bulbs and once my DH had a lady report that her bath tub wouldn't drain. He pulled the plug for Her and all was okay.

Every 911 call dispatched, must have a written report done and turned it at the end of each shift...even for dumb calls.

The police have laptops in their cars now and can do reports at the scene.  Every call must be accounted for.

Taking information on the phone or telling you to come to the station to file a report is not showing up.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

They are the ones  who did an illegal act by not contacting you, whether it was by coming to your condo or leaving you a note, that is considered a hit and run, so they  definately should pay both the fine and the repairs. 

Someone once nicked our car door with their door and left us a note of apology and contact information.  it was a minor nic, and we did not intend to contact the man, but as we were about to drive off he came to our car and again apologized and said he insisted on paying for the repairs out of pocket because it was the right thing to do. My husband and the man arranged to go down to a body shop and have it fixed.  Afterward my husband brought this elderly gentleman home for dinner. Turned out he was a widower and appeared to be quite lonely and very sweet.  We were young with small children at the time and we enjoyed having him over since my dad had already passed away.  Sadly less then a year later he passed away. Sweet man who showed us that you take responsibility for your actions or accidents.  Since we knew the body shop owner, I believe that little nic did not cost more than 25  dollars or so in those days, but the friendship we developed with this gentle soul was priceless.

The point of my story is those neighbors could have been good neighbors and alerted you immediately, maybe even bringing a gift of apology in a plant or cookies and who knows, these two families may have become good friends. They are the ones who destroyed this opportunity.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh heck no, don't drop the charges. Your neighbor showed you no consideration. You don't owe these people.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

Did you miss the part about 2500 in damage? Why should @Mustang Shar be out that?

Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd ask why they didn't  tell me if they knew it was my car, then forgive & forgot...since no one was hurt & the car is just a thing that can be repaired I'd let it go. 

really?!  forgive and forget?! they didn't even leave a note.....not acceptable.....i would not let it go....certainly tells you something about the person who hit the car......jmo....

Yes, really... we're all different in the way we handle the things that happen in life. What matters to me is how I treat others & hope that sets a good example for others to follow.

She cant do anything about the police fining them, it's out her hands, she could not charge their insurance company, but why should she eat the 2500.00 if they paid personally and never got insurance involved, ok, maybe. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@nana59   so,r police departments won't come to your house unless it's something serious.

wow....i never knew that.....

That's because it isn't true.  Police have to respond to every call...that is their job.

They will respond to emergency calls first, so they might not be there within a few minutes, but they will show up.

No police do not respond to every call, depend where you live.  In many places when involved in an accident, if there are no injuries, you are told to come to the station to file a report.  

The police will not always show up if there is an unreportable accident.  If the Parties involved are not hurt, did not damage anyone's property but their own cars and can drive their cars from the scene, they are expected to exchange info and leave.  There is no reason to involve the police or even get a police report.

If there are injuries, or the cars must be towed, or property damage is done....like hitting a stop sign or someon's fence, or a hit and run, the police need to get involved and they will absolutely show up.

So then you agree, police do not respond to EVERY call.

No, I do not agree.  Once you call 911, the dispatcher notifies the police or other emergency responder.  They must respond to EVERY call and do a written report on the call. If it is  just a small bump accident that is not reportable, the police will call you and get info on the phone.  If at that time, it is not reportable, they will tell you and advise you if it is not necessary for them to show up and explain what you should do.  Often, they show up anyway.

They cannot just not show up if 911 is called.

My DH was a full time police officer for 35 years and a part time one once he retired for another 10 years and my oldest son is a police officer as well.

I got to hear about some crazy calls they responded to....they have changed light bulbs and once my DH had a lady report that her bath tub wouldn't drain. He pulled the plug for Her and all was okay.

Every 911 call dispatched, must have a written report done and turned it at the end of each shift...even for dumb calls.

The police have laptops in their cars now and can do reports at the scene.  Every call must be accounted for.

Taking information on the phone or telling you to come to the station to file a report is not showing up.

I have never heard of any police officer telling you to come into the office to file a report. Most of the times in my experience, there are no police officers in the office.  You would have to make prior arrangements for them to meet you there.

Most police office's close at 5 pm when the receptionist goes home. Officers are only there during shift changes.

Do you always have to have the last word?  And, You seem to be an authority about everything all of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I have never heard of any police officer telling you to come into the office to file a report. Most of the times in my experience, there are no police officers in the office.  You would have to make prior arrangements for them to meet you there.

Most police office's close at 5 pm when the receptionist goes home. Officers are only there during shift changes.

Do you always have to have the last word?  And, You seem to be an authority about everything all of the time.

As I said in my very first post,,,,it depends where you live.  I have never heard of police stations closing down at 5 pm, except maybe Mayberry.  Around here stations are manned 24/7.

I have first hand experience of being told to come to the station to file a report for a fender bender.  So because you have never heard of something does not mean it does not happen.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I would venture a guess that maybe the neighbor was 'intoxicated' and didn't want the police or you to know.  The car being 'tboned' tells me the neighbor was really out of control !

Super Contributor

UM coverage doesn't cover property damage in all states.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 

I believe in treating others as they treat me. I don't believe in allowing others to cheat me, deceive me or play me for an easy mark.

I'm more concerned about them skating on this and then doing the same to their next victim.