Trusted Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

I understand you being very mad and upset. But remember these people are living next door to you, and maybe they won't harm you, but who knows.....? i would be very grateful it wasn't your dog.... and i would hate to think of them getting revenge... you really never know your neighbors and their friends.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

i was thinking the same thing....about how the police knew whose door to knock on!!

Because of where the accident took place, the officer had an idea that it was a neighbor. All he had to do was look for the transfer of paint.

@Sage04 

The first thing I thought of was there must security cameras somewhere in the vicinity, but front end damage is also a dead giveaway. 

Trusted Contributor

My neighbor (who has since moved) had adult children one of which was living with them and both him and his wife always covered for them taking the blame for their children so they could have a clean record going forward.  Their reticence by not calling the police when something similar happened was not a well thought out plan but they were not terrible or bad people.  In fact, I had nothing but pity for them and the burden they had put on themselves for choosing to take the blame for their children and forgave them and going forward made a point of always going directly to them instead of the police; as a result things were always amicably resolved.  Not saying that is the situation with the OP but in my case it explained a lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

Police must have had a slow day.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mustang Shar  drop what charges? You didn't bring charges against him. The Officer did. There is nothing you can do about you and I hope your neighbors know this.

The Officer advised, if I don't show up at the hearing, the fleeing and eluding charges would be dropped. So I must follow through

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy The neighbor committed a hit and run and that's why the police came and they knew who to look at. Where I live the police will respond to a hit and run.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for letting me vent. As my name says, Mustangshar I partipate in car shows and in fact was going to participate in 2 upcoming Police Dept shows for charity. My cars are pristine and I was about to start customization on this one. I had many trophies from my last Mustang. 

I've always loved muscle cars and belong to a Ford club, so I'm out for the last shows. You know, I work hard at keeping the car in good shape, I enjoy my cars, they're not just transportation. It's a joy for me and most women don't have this addiction Smiley Happy

Thank you for your kindness-hugs!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m most surprised your PD has the manpower to follow up on a non-injury hit and run to an unoccupied vehicle. Around here they would just take the report for your insurance purposes.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I'm learning a lot here. I didn't know you don't have to pay the full deductable for a hit and run. Good to know though I hope I never have to use it😕

@on the bay I haven't read all the posts but I'd venture a guess it depends on your state law and your policy.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Teddixat Maybe not a criminal record but there is a reason these creeps hid what they did. When someone does that there's a reason. Likely bad driving records and no insurance.

Yes, I am assuming!!!

@Love my grandkids 

Nah. It could be as simple as they just don't want to pay for it! People evade their  responsibility all the time in situations like that. I learned a long time ago always call the police even in a minor fender bender

@Mustang Shar Is it even up to you whether the charges stay? I think the most important thing though is getting your car fixed and it not cost you anything. I don't really think they deserve leniency...they had no consideration for you whatsoever...

Was it a teenager or an adult that hit your car?