Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mustang Shar 

I understand your feeling, a little honesty and apology on your neighbor's part would've gone a looong way in this situation to me.

Hope they pay ALL of your damages including any deductible or loaner car expenses while yours is being repaired, that's only right.

Maybe some driver impairment was involved, since the way they 't-boned' the side of your car where it was parked doesn't make sense under 'normal' circumstances.

If so, this may be  the 'lesson' they need before somebody is killed.

@KingstonsMom  I thought the same thing. Something was'nt right.

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar  Thankfully you had an Officer that was persistent and got involved in your case.  That is a blessing ! Some could have not had such an incident as a priority  as  busy they often are. It was pursued in a timely manner a plus it  sounds like things have gone your way  with admitting it  even though the rudeness of not owning up to it all and notifying you would be  disgusting.

I am curious why and how it all happened?  I dont blame you one bit for being angry. If your Officers can do a neighborhood drive by check  it might help at least until things calm down. Ours are good to do this when we have had issues with neighbor`s adult kids. I wouldn't budge either in pleas to drop charges.  You didnt commit tne wrong. Let the Insurance company deal with them and their representatives. I am  so sorry, agravating to say the least.

Honored Contributor

I would not drop, assuming you can even do that.   You need the police report when you file your claim with the insurance company.  It was a hit and run, you should sue them for any out of pocket charges you have after the insurer pays.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar  it's out of your hands now. The law is involved.

From what i know you can't drop the charges.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar  drop what charges? You didn't bring charges against him. The Officer did. There is nothing you can do about you and I hope your neighbors know this.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

I agree, the criminal charges were brought by LE, @Mustang Shar has no say so when the neighbor violated the law, it's out of her control.

Let your neighbors know that, to keep them off your back with their 'begging' to drop charges, you can't even if you wanted to.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I don't blame you!  That was an ADULT and they knew exactly what he was doing.  

The police know exactly how to question someone to get the truth out.  I taught several policemen as well as several State Troopers.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Mustang Shar  I'm glad you found out who did it and they'll have to pay for the damages. Some people are just horrible now.  Also, the same thing happened to me when I lived in a condo, no note or anything, and I never found out who did it.  It was the final straw that made me move.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar. The fact alone that this person chose to hide the truth tells you everything you need to know.  Obviously it is no small dent.  Had the person come directly to you and admitted what happened,  circumstances would be different.  I would expect them to pay for the damage to be repaired in full.  Once that is done then I'd consider dropping the charges.  

It certainly makes you wonder what kind of person would smash into their neighbor's car and not admit what they had done.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @Love my grandkids!

I'm going to look into that!

My daughter was hit by an (you guessed it- unusured, unlicensed driver). But wouldn't our insurance pay for anything we needed if they didn't have insurance? 

Or maybe I should just google. Don't want to go Off topic😬

(seems to be a no no around here).😳

Edited to add-yea I do have it!

I have progressive-been with them for many years. For me they were always cheaper then Geico.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"