Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Smashed My Car!

I'm learning a lot here. I didn't know you don't have to pay the full deductable for a hit and run. Good to know though I hope I never have to use it😕

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay That's why we have always had Uninsured Motorist coverage.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

Sadly I've attended funerals for several family members & friends so I don't give a ****** about things. A car can be fixed, insurance covers damage & I could forgive someone doing a dumb thoughtless thing since no one got hurt. The forgiveness & forgetting would be for MY mental health...it's been a stressful time & a lesson about what's really important. I try to xet a good example, maybe it helps others & maybe it doesn't.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure all the police had to do was look around at the neighbors cars to see who had front end damage, run the plate and knock on their door.

I don't think the OP can do anything about the fine the police levy against the neighbors.  All she did was get a police report for insurance purposes and report the accident.  What happens after that is not on the OP.

Hopefully the OP doesn't have to sue them to get the money to pay for repairs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@kitcat51 Forgive and forget when property damage is $2500??? Are you serious? They likely have bad driving records and no insurance.

I can't believe someone would "forgive and forget" when a neighbor does this c r a p and tries to hide it. And there is a reason the police knew who to go to about this.  

i was thinking the same thing....about how the police knew whose door to knock on!!

Because of where the accident took place, the officer had an idea that it was a neighbor. All he had to do was look for the transfer of paint.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Sadly I've attended funerals for several family members & friends so I don't give a ****** about things. A car can be fixed, insurance covers damage & I could forgive someone doing a dumb thoughtless thing since no one got hurt. The forgiveness & forgetting would be for MY mental health...it's been a stressful time & a lesson about what's really important. I try to xet a good example, maybe it helps others & maybe it doesn't.

@kitcat51 , I respect your opinion, however, I don't think you do anyone any favors by not holding them accountable. Actions should have consequences, isn't that what we teach our children ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't blame you for not dropping the charges.  I would think they'd still be charged or have this on their record for doing this.  It's illegal!

Is their damaged vehicle in their driveway/garage?  Can you see it?

That takes a LOT of nerve.  I would be so upset.

I hope they don't threaten you or intimidate you in any way.  I'd let them know that I'm headed right back to the police station, if they do!

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Maybe if the neighbor had notified @Mustang Shar  things would be different. If the neighbor has insurance, they could have gone through the insurance Co.

Now I'm wondering if the neighbor got hurt.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

For those of you that say forget about it... I have to tell you my background. My late husband was a Police Officer for 25 years, I was brought up to always be respectful and never disgrace the family name, very old world. 

This act, by a so called friendly neighbor is a total slap in the face. How could anyone DO that?? If that officer didn't have a hunch, chances are THEY would never come forth and I'd be stuck with my deductible.

Oh poor things, they're scared to go to court the daughter in law told me. They were dishonest and I can take care of myself. These people will never try to harm or harass me. 

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar 

I understand your feeling, a little honesty and apology on your neighbor's part would've gone a looong way in this situation to me.

Hope they pay ALL of your damages including any deductible or loaner car expenses while yours is being repaired, that's only right.

Maybe some driver impairment was involved, since the way they 't-boned' the side of your car where it was parked doesn't make sense under 'normal' circumstances.

If so, this may be  the 'lesson' they need before somebody is killed.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.