Honored Contributor

I’m posting this here, because I don’t go to the jewelry forum that often.

Do you have and wear any jewelry that belonged to your mother? When our mom passed away the daughters selected pieces from her collection. She didn’t have a lot and most were not expensive. She had several necklaces and brooches and a few rings and earrings.

I chose a heart locket and 2 brooches. I wear the deep red crystal pin on the lapel of my grey wool coat in the winter. I haven’t really worn the other two but would like to. I have a few chains that the locket would fit on. Thinking the floral pin could go on my white jean jacket or pinned to my crochet handbag. (My mom sometimes used her brooches for her scarves, but I don’t wear scarves.) 

CB36F0A0-29F4-48AA-B9E4-B08D168F5AEB.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@wilma  Very pretty 😊

Respected Contributor

the floral pin would look very nice on a white jean jacket.  i like the idea of putting it on a bag as well

Respected Contributor

@wilma  Love the pic you posted of your mom’s jewelry and is reminiscent of some of my mother’s.  I really love the deep red of the crystals and the pressed flowers. 

Momma wore brooches as well and I loved when she pinned them to hats she wore way, way back in the day.

I have brooches also of all my grandmothers that I treasure (back to my great, great). I’ve been thinking of having them mounted in a shadow box type of mounting encased in glass for my daughter or granddaughter.  We did this with our wedding veils and the framer did beautiful work and it preserves them so well.

Keep those wonderful memories going and enjoy our treasures...

Trusted Contributor

@wilma I love the pieces you have from your mom.  How nice to have those special keepsakes.

The brooches would look nice on a jacket or a handbag. I especially like wearing a pin on my winter coat.  It's surprising to me how many times I have received a compliment from total strangers about a pin.  

Enjoy the jewelry pieces.  They are precious and pretty!

~LdyBugz

Respected Contributor

@wilma So lovely all in addition to honoring your mother.  I sometimes wear a beret and have pinned my mother's broach on it.  I wear a puffed heart and chain that was her favorite and an aquamarine ring given to her by my father and when I went to college, my mother gave it to me some 50 years ago.  I enjoy wearing her jewelry whenever I can. 

Respected Contributor

My mom left me a diamond and blue sapphire ornate cocktail ring ( think: 2 flowers with sapphire centers ).   She never wore cocktail rings and neither have I.

Had my jeweler take the ring apart and added 3 diamonds from my deceased dad's pinky ring:

8B6F47B0-75EB-4E28-979C-CF0EFB70612C.jpeg
 And, I wear it every day !!!  Think of it as a " parents'" ring !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I have my mom's engagement ring, a 5 stone diamond band that my dad had made for their 40th anniversary, a beautiful green tourmaline ring that she bought while on a trip in Europe and a gorgeous sting of pearls that my dad had put together for Christmas one year. I also have a beautiful hammered gold fan pin that I gave her as a gift. I wear her engagement ring, the diamond band and a sapphire band (my dad's birthstone) on my right hand almost every day. Technically, the engagement ring goes to whichever nephew gets engaged first, but I've given them both copies of the appraisal, and while the stone itself is very high quality, it's smallish and has the chips and scratches you'd expect after 55 years of wear. Neither one of them wants it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Jewelry was of no interest to my mom.  

Long before her dementia diagnosis, she gave me her wedding set, my oldest daughter got her birthstone ring, my youngest daughter got the wide gold wedding band which was the only piece of jewelry mom ever wore, and my nephew was given mom and dad’s class rings.   

Honored Contributor

Re: My Mom’s Jewelry

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

Thank you for sharing those lovely items of your mother's!  They are gorgeous.  While I am very partial to heart jewelry, I am drawn to the pin which has the flowers --- are they violets?  They appear to be.  My mother loved them and as a child we were always picking her large bouqets from the yard!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin