Respected Contributor

Re: My Grand daughter's School Mate Committed Suicide Last week

@alicedee wrote:

That's too bad about the young man.  Suicide is always a sad tragedy.

Not sure what students being "gifted" had to do with your story.  All kids are being affected by the pandemic, not just "gifted" ones.

Actually, this - we're all in the same boat narrative - is just not the case.

This story is all the more revealing of the depth of the problem BECAUSE the kids were gifted.  Clearly, gifted kids - with their intelligence and usually also their parents resources have more ability to cope with situations like this than poor kids - who may not even be able to access the meagre online "learning" being offered as "school" currently.  And what about the kids with disabilities who have a harder time coping generally - now being denied even school.  And don't get me started about kids who are suffering abuse.

So no "all" kids are NOT being affected as severely as many are.  However, I agree that "all" are being adversely affected.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Suicide is a what if situation that will have no answer until we get to the by and by, only God knows.  Just this last week a man in our town shot his wife and daughter, then himself.  Domestic violence is on the rise too.  I will continue to lift all up in prayer for comfort.

Respected Contributor

These times are so difficult for young people who rely on friends for so much interaction and support. My Stepdaughter's basketball friends reported her as she was taking over the counter antihistamines in excess. The Counselor confronted her in front of her friends which I disagreed with as should have been confidential.  Trying to keep up with the popular kids and sports pressure had affected her. Her friends did the right thing and told someone.

We had a family friend whose son at age 14 shot himself. The young man wanted to be with his Grandfather who recently died. I recall the parents looking for us when we walked through the door at the wake.

For a week extra counselor support was brought in for small group talk sessions at school. Perhaps a zoom session can be arranged for these students to talk along with a Counselor or Coach.These students need to talk and interact somehow.

Esteemed Contributor

So very, very sad.  My condolences to your dear granddaughter.  

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

Not sure what students being "gifted" had to do with your story.  All kids are being affected by the pandemic, not just "gifted" ones.

This story is all the more revealing of the depth of the problem BECAUSE the kids were gifted.  Clearly, gifted kids - with their intelligence and usually also their parents resources have more ability to cope with situations like this than poor kids - who may not even be able to access the meagre online "learning" being offered as "school" currently.  And what about the kids with disabilities who have a harder time coping generally - now being denied even school.  And don't get me started about kids who are suffering abuse.

So no "all" kids are NOT being affected as severely as many are.  However, I agree that "all" are being adversely affected.

Not sure why you felt the need to misquote me then "correct" me.  I did NOT say that all kids were being affected with the same degree of severity.  I said all kids were being affected by the pandemic, not just "gifted" ones. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree!!

This is a stark reminder that ALL are at risk, and that perhaps now more than ever before, we should be as concerned about their mental health, as we are their physical health!

I too, am quite leery of them returning to the classroom until more concrete evidence, and not just unproven suggestions, indicates it is safer to do so! 

My heart is breaking for all the families that are now faced with such tragic circumstances during such extremely difficult times.💔

~~~All we need is LOVE and HOPE💖

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I completely understand your grandchild's pain.

In 1982, as a freshman in college at Moore College of Art and Design, my roommate committed suicide the last month of the school year. 

It has stayed with me to this very day, that I couldn't stop her, that none of us could KEEP HER HERE - it's a tragedy that has no end.

No words can console the family. 

If your grandchild will accept counceling, it may be helpful.

I was beyond angry, hateful, bitter and meanspirited at that time, and the help kept me from hurting myself and others, I truly gained from it.

My prayers go out to all of you all involved.

Esteemed Contributor

These tragedies are horrific. My niece, who graduated with honors from college last year, died of a drug overdose a few weeks ago. The pain of this loss is indescribable and unbearable. There's not much to say about these terrible events. Whether intentional or not, these monstrous events break your heart.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alicedee wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to misquote me then "correct" me.  I did NOT say that all kids were being affected with the same degree of severity.  I said all kids were being affected by the pandemic, not just "gifted" ones. 

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.  I thought when you questioned why the need to mention "gifted" and then said that not just the "gifted" ones were affected, you meant they were no more affected than others.

So now I am confused about why you felt the need to chastise the OP for mentioning that the child was gifted in the first place.  

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.  I thought when you questioned why the need to mention "gifted" and then said that not just the "gifted" ones were affected, you meant they were no more affected than others.

So now I am confused about why you felt the need to chastise the OP for mentioning that the child was gifted in the first place.  

Chastise?  Lol!

My point is that a "gifted" label on a student doesn't mean they are any more or less affected by what is going on.  Each child ....labeled or otherwise....is going to have their own unique response.  My own personal feelings are that children from poor families, abusive situations, and with learning disabilities will have higher chances of suffering most severely.  But...each child is an individual and will have his/her own response, no matter what their "label" is at school.