Esteemed Contributor

I would definately have your friend see a doctor, but not tell him where the dog is.  Would the doctor refuse treatment without getting the info on the dog?

Personally I would hate like heck to be responsible for putting a family pet down, a family that you are not part of.  

I was bit once by my neice's boyfriend's big dog, he got me on the arm, just a small bite, but I have the scar to prove it.  That dog also bit my sister in law on her finger.  This couple, my neice and her soon to be husband, went on to have two kids.  The dog never bit anyone in the immediate family and was a very much loved family pet.  He passed away a few years ago.

My sister and her husband have a small dog.  This dog was a stray that was taunted, so he has some "issues."  The dog bit my brother in law, so much so that he got stitches.  We have to be careful about how to approach and pet him.

Dogs make mistakes and need to be trained.  Perhaps this family needs a dog trainer to come work with the dog.  I would just hate to give up on the dog and kill it without giving it a chance to correct his behavior.

So I am sure I will get blasted for my opinion, but that is the way I feel.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

A real friend, a TRUE friend would have made sure she saw a doctor ASAP.  I sincerely hope she sees and understands this. If not, help her to.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Agree, it's not a dilemma.  I would definitely go to the doctor.  My health is more important than friendship or what other people think.  Take personal responsibility.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Your friend could say a STRAY dog bit her.........

@Desertdi    Bad idea, then she'd have to have rabies shots. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

She needs to seek medical attention. She needs to do what's best for herself. What happens after that is beyond her control and should not be her concern.

Actions have consequences. Actions of our pets have consequences. That's a good life lesson for anyone's grandchildren to learn.

Honored Contributor

Also, was the owner of the dog aware of how bad her dog bit your friend?  If she did and she was any kind of friend, she would have insisted this woman seek medical attention.

A number of years ago I owned a boxer and he was a very big boy and he was protective.  One day a friend came to our house.  He knocked on our door and my DH yelled to hold on because we were going to put the dog in the basement until this guy came into the house.  Our friend thought my DH yelled come in and he opened the door, took one step inside and my dog bit him on the thigh. 

It wasn't the worst bite but he did leave teeth marks on the skin in a couple of places and the guy's leg immediately turned purple and red.  The guy kept saying it was his fault for just walking into our house but I told him I thought he should have that looked at and of course we would pay any medical expenses.  He said if it got worse, he'd go see his doctor.  It never did but to this day he has a scar on his leg from that bite.  I knew when I told him to go to the hospital or doctor that the bite would be reported and that my dog would be in quarantine.         

Respected Contributor

Re: My Friend’s Dilemma

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Your friend could say a STRAY dog bit her.........

...and that would be a lie, and allow the risk and danger to continue. 

Honored Contributor

The friend's family are irresponsible. I really wish your friend would have sought medical attention right away. Although, I understand she doesn't want to lose the friendship her health far outweighs having one less friend. 

Honored Contributor

If her friend puts the dog above her friend, she needs another friend.  Go to the doctor and get a Tetanus shot.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I would definately have your friend see a doctor, but not tell him where the dog is.  Would the doctor refuse treatment without getting the info on the dog?

Personally I would hate like heck to be responsible for putting a family pet down, a family that you are not part of.  

I was bit once by my neice's boyfriend's big dog, he got me on the arm, just a small bite, but I have the scar to prove it.  That dog also bit my sister in law on her finger.  This couple, my neice and her soon to be husband, went on to have two kids.  The dog never bit anyone in the immediate family and was a very much loved family pet.  He passed away a few years ago.

My sister and her husband have a small dog.  This dog was a stray that was taunted, so he has some "issues."  The dog bit my brother in law, so much so that he got stitches.  We have to be careful about how to approach and pet him.

Dogs make mistakes and need to be trained.  Perhaps this family needs a dog trainer to come work with the dog.  I would just hate to give up on the dog and kill it without giving it a chance to correct his behavior.

So I am sure I will get blasted for my opinion, but that is the way I feel.

No sane person with his or her priorities straight would ever put a dog before the health or safety of a human being.