Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@hyacinth003   Your beloved father is resting now and I hope that you are able to take some time to heal.  Please do not give that control freak of a sister in law the power to prevent you from grieving and healing.  

She didn't get her way and if you've ever been around a kid who threw one heck of a temper tantrum, then you know that it will pass.  Just because your brother submits to her shenanigans doesn't mean you have to. 

@Bird mama 

Great description - a temper tantrum!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

My Condolences to you and your family. You have given your dad a good farewell and that is all you can do for him now. You did not know what your dad had decided and you can only follow his wishes. Let your brother come to terms with it and in time hopefully he will see that family is more important. Sometimes people do remember that.

@Nbo 

I entered the chapel area and walked up to greet she and my brother.  She overtly turned around on me.  I then greeted my brother and their son, and just walked on.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  I am so sorry for your loss of your father.  Your sister in law sounds like she is consumed with jealousy and hatred so let her stew in her own juices as they say.  As for you, I pray that Almighty God will surround you with kindness, and give your troubled heart peace and comfort.  My father was a Marine veteran and the color guard folded the flag and handed it to me and it is a surreal moment.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003   I'm sorry at a time like this for you and your brother, there's a thorn among the roses.  Sorry for your loss.

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 , sorry for the loss of your dad. I´ve never heard the song ¨On Eagles Wings" but I´ll google it. For my dad¨s funeral, someone sang ¨Wings beneath My Wings. It was beautiful.

My husband was also a Marine Veteran and was buried at a National Cemetery. The playing of ¨Taps¨ sent chills through my bones and at the same time brought a smile to my face. That was him through and through. I asked them to present the Flag to my son and just watching them fold it, had everyone´s attention.

All the best to you and your family and just take it one day at a time.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@hyacinth003 , sorry for the loss of your dad. I´ve never heard the song ¨On Eagles Wings" but I´ll google it. For my dad¨s funeral, someone sang ¨Wings beneath My Wings. It was beautiful.

My husband was also a Marine Veteran and was buried at a National Cemetery. The playing of ¨Taps¨ sent chills through my bones and at the same time brought a smile to my face. That was him through and through. I asked them to present the Flag to my son and just watching them fold it, had everyone´s attention.

@Sage04 

Do go and look up "On Eagle's Wings!"  I have heard it at other funeral services.  "Ave Maria" was sung at my mother's funeral, and I lost it then too!

Songs seemed to hit me more.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Ave Maria was played at my dad's service, too.

I also broke down sobbing.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: My Dad's service today

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  I’m so sorry for your loss.  You gave a wonderful farewell and that sounded as a great tribute to him.  Be glad it’s IGNORED and one less thing to have to listen to from her.  May your dad Rest In Peace and you have the strength of great memories to carry you through this difficult time.  God bless.  My thoughts are with you.  

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 

This is so heartbreaking and very, very sad that your SIL tried to make your dad's day all about her. There usually is one like this in every family. With her disposition be glad that she ignores you. Your poor brother.

Your selections sound lovely. Can you share where you found your readings? I'm sure your dad would be grateful that your part in the service was so meaningful. Your daughter giving the eulogy, the flowers, urn choice and the honor guide were all so important.

Take good care.

Is it just you and your brother now?

dee

Respected Contributor

Re: My Dad's service today

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sage04  @hyacinth003  sorry for your loss hyacinth003  - agree military services are extremely impressive -  two months ago my BF was buried with honors in Arlington National Cemetery.  

After meeting/mingling with family/friends at the admin building, a cemetery rep explains exactly what is to take place at the gravesite and that it will take 1/2 hr.  Down at gravesite, a Navy chaplain spoke, they had the flag folding ceremony, the gun volley and then Taps was played.  It took exactly 1/2 hour - they have it all down to a science.  When service was over it was so overwhelming looking out upon the expansive site of all those headstones and the columbarium.