Respected Contributor
Looked at Chips Ahoy package and made the discovery, Shame on me for missing. This was a treat gone bad. I spent so much time at grocery searching out organic, avoiding “bad” ingredients and let this pass. It’s a sign I should bake myself.
Honored Contributor

Re: My Cookies Made in Mexico

I wonder if food manufacturing plants outside th U.S. but supplying the U.S. are subject to FDA inspection.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom  Thank you for the information and the warning.....I'll make sure I never purchase that food item and/or others from Mexico!

Honored Contributor

I think Oreos are too and probably other cookies from the same companies.

Honored Contributor

I think a number of different cookies and crackers are made in Mexico. 

Esteemed Contributor

I almost bought a package of oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies until I saw they were made in Mexico.  No thanks!

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of American companies in Mexico and that's certainly going to grow.  With all recalls for salmonella and what have you from American companies, I'm not concerned at all with American companies making food products in Mexico or Canada, for that matter.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree @I have to agree.We haven’t heard about any food recalls from Mexico and besides that there are a lot of Mexican and other foreign workers here in the USA.

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom   I don't understand why you would not buy from Mexico.  Lots of things we eat are manufactured or made in other countries.  What about China and  Viet Nam?  We buy the Croissants from France.  It does seem our country has a few companies that keep recalling food products.  Home made chocolate chip cookies are better anyway. 

Trusted Contributor

Cookies ( or any food) made in Mexico, or any country outside of the USA, must comply with FDA standards. You can decide cynically (or emotionally) that they couldn’t really be “safe” or of good quality, but claiming they are not the same as American-made food is not valid. If it doesn’t meet the standards, it can’t be imported. 

https://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/importsexports/importing/