Valued Contributor

My Christmas - I got more than I expected

This has been a hard year -in April my hubby was sick with Crohn's - tests found lung cancer and he had surgery. He also had cancer on his nose and had to wear a bandage for over 5 weeks.

With that said, we are Blessed!  He finally quit smoking (in May) and during his hospital stay in August after talking with a few of his friends he said we could retire at the end of this year.  I have 12 work days left to work!  (he has the same).

Reading the recent '65 to Death' post I wanted to say, just go with the flow.  We have plans to travel with a 5th wheel next spring.  While I'm excited and hopeful, who really knows what tomorrow will bring?  I am just happy knowing I can quit after working FT for 46 years.  And ecstatic that my Marlboro Man finally gave the smokes up!  

Our parents passed as did some of our siblings/friends.  Very hard times in our 50s.  We both had manager jobs where we were pulled in many directions.  Many tears. 

I have many friends who take cruises, go to FL in the winter, travel the world (we're not doing that! don't want him having Crohn's in a foreign country) but honestly, I have all I need.  Health and love and freedom from working so hard!  

Next chapter:  I hope to volunteer and have some interests outside of what we do together because I believe it's important to keep friendships alive.  

I hope all of you are blessed this Christmas season!

Respected Contributor

Re: My Christmas - I got more than I expected

@tarsmom @Hope you and your Marlboro Man have many wonderful retirement years together.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations @tarsmom  and Tarsdad Woman Wink  It sounds like you will be starting the new decade off on the right foot.  I'm excited for you and wish you and your beloved the best as you embark on this new chapter.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@tarsmom Cheers to you and your husband! I hope you and your husband enjoy a healthy and happy retirement together in twelve short days.

I've been retired for close to two and a half years and have reveled in every moment of its freedom from the clock and the day-to-day grind.

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your retirement.

Honored Contributor

Happy retirement!  Congratulations, you've earned it.  Happy holidays to you your Marlboro man.

Esteemed Contributor

Better days ahead -- may many blessings fall on your family 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@tarsmom you have the right attitude and spirit.I hope the best is yet to come for the two of you.Happy,happy retirement and enjoy your new life. 

Honored Contributor

Good for you!  Have a ball! You've earned it!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Good for you! Enjoy many happy days of retirement,you have certainly earned it.