Honored Contributor

Hot street--First of all--thank you for sharing your story. That took alot of courage and I'm so glad you continue to  recover. I would like to agree 100% with annabelle for her very wise post. I am very happy you have found a kindred spirit but think it wise to get to know this person a little better. And I also agree that you will know when the time is right.

Much good luck to you !!!

Honored Contributor

Re: My Anorexia Experience

[ Edited ]

@Black Cat Back

I can relate to your OP. I am 65 and have suffered from anorexia and bulimia (on and off) for 50+years. I do not believe I'll ever be cured.

Personally, I do not know that I'd share my struggle with someone who has lost a loved one to these diseases.  Only you can make that decision based on your relationship.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who have said give it time, and you will know. If/when you feel moved to share, you might want to just say that you had an experience with anorexia in your youth, and that you would be willing to share your thoughts with her, if and when she might be at a point where she is able to hear them without being too saddened; i.e. you might be of some help/comfort but you don't want to make her pain worse; only she knows if/when that might be.

You are a kind and courageous woman. Hang in there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Black Cat Back

I can relate to your OP. I am 65 and have suffered from anorexia and bulimia (on and off) for 50+years. I do not believe I'll ever be cured.

Personally, I do not know that I'd share my struggle with someone who has lost a loved one to these diseases.  Only you can make that decision based on your relationship.

I agree.  I lost a son and wouldn't want to live through it again by discussing it with someone with the same illness.  I can't see how it would help either of you.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Anorexia Experience

[ Edited ]

I think your remote (it's been 30 years) experience with this disease is unlikely to help anyone and since they have lost a loved one to it, what good would be served from listening to your stories?  Be supportive but refrain from sharing old time "war" stories that can do more harm than good. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think a kindly-worded offer to tell her your story won't do harm. If you ask first, you provide an opportunity for her to say no. On the other hand, if she agrees, you can offer great support and understanding to her.