Respected Contributor

My 6 yo Grandson's serious question this morning

So we are sitting at his desk waiting for virtual class to start and he says "Grandma what happens when you turn 100 ? do you start all over again at 1?"   of course I explained that's not what happens and told him it's a blessing to get to 100. I just thought to myself that kids come up with the funniest questions.  Anyone remember your children or grandchildren's funniest questions ?   Woman LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My 6 yo Grandson's serious question this morning

@Goodie2shoes 

Nope, no kids, thus no grandkids questions. I thought that was a great question from your grandson.  

I will say this, the way some live their lives. I really think some must believe this life is just a dress rehearsal for the real one.

Met young kids ice skating and seemed to get a string of "why" after I tried to answer their question.  Was fun interacting with most of them.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  You are so blessed having such a smart young man in your life; it's easy for me to say but the more questions he asks the better.

Regular Contributor

My son is 46 and I still remember a question he asked one night when his father was out of town on a business trip.  He started to ask about where babies come from.  (We had already told him the "seed" story, since he was only 4 and that was about all that was  appropriate for his age)   So I reminded him of the seed story and then he said that all he wanted to know was that "when Daddy plants the seed, can I help".  Needless to say I was speechless and told him we would talk about it when his dad came home from his business trip.  Luckily 4 year olds have a short attention span and he did not bring it up again.  So far my grandchildren have not brought this topic up with me......yet.

Respected Contributor

When my neices were around the 4-6 year ages, their parents had purchased their farm and were raising beef cattle. 

One day they came in the house and were packing all kinds of snacks to take outside.  My sisiter in law said they had set them on a haybale  behind a cow (in the barn) so they could snack while watching her giving birth. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In this same vein, one night when my son was very young, he was crying in his bed.  I went to see what was wrong to make him cry.  He said, "I don't want you or dad to die". Talk about getting cold water thrown in your face!!  Don't know what led up to that, but I told him, we weren't going anywhere, any time soon, and he didn't need to worry about that.  It seemed to be good enough for him with that answer.  I'd have taken the time to go further, if that hadn't of worked.  

Not knowing what goes through kid's minds at such young ages is questionable.  He never said.  Don't think it was a dream.

But it may seem a bit silly (some of their questions) but it's terribly serious to them.  But I think we give them honest answers and not foo foo them.  So the OP did good I think. 

His dad was in the military at the time but stateside. He was surrounded by other military kids at that time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, yes you do, start all over again with 1! You add the 1 to the 100, and that makes you one hundred and one.

I think it was a very logical question - for a little kid!

Honored Contributor

It wasn't my child, it was my nephew who has always been like a son to me.  He was about 5 and at the time, I was quite obese.  A size 28/30.  We were standing in a very long checkout line at some department store.  The line was just creeping so I suppose his mind was wandering.  In a loud voice,  he asked "when you were my age, were you skinny or big and fluffy like you are now?".  Half the people near us burst out laughing and the other half wanted to.  I was absolutely mortified but I didn't want him to think he'd said something wrong.  I said "I don't remember" to shut him up.     Shortly after that, I had a gastric bypass and loss 170 lbs.

Trusted Contributor

My mother passed 2 years ago at 101. She was confused at that point. After she turned 100 she said to me "I guess I'll live to be 200.". I was very surprised that she said that but then realized that she thought that she would be 200 on her next birthday.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes   That's definitely an intelligent, thoughtful question and your rsponse, on the spot, was quite accurate and comforting. I'd assume his real question concerned death and what happens when people get "old".

My younger granddaughter asked a similar question a few years ago. She lost my Mom (great-grandma) and her mom's Mom (her other grandma) within 6 weeks of eachother. Her fourth grandmother passed awhile ago before she was born and she didn't get to know her, but was very close to the two that passed away so close together.

Her concern was for me, the only remaining grandma and what would happen if I got sick and she'd have no grandma at all. She was having bad dreams that kept her awake.

I was stumped with an answer that would comfort her. I tried to explain that I was younger that her other grandmas by 15-20 yrs. and healthy, ate properly, exercised and am doing everything I can to live a long healthy life so I can be there for her for a very, very long time. That was enough to soothe her...so far.