Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mutual birthdays in families

Looks like several families share birthdays. It's been fun sharing birthdays. My FIL and I are two days apart and we've shared the same birthday cake for years. I have 3 great neices, born same year, same month and in the hospital together the same week. The moms plan something special for the girls each week. They're 8 now. Husband and his sis are a few days apart and shared birthday cake in childhood. They didn't like that.

Hope we all have good birthdays in 2019 and a very good year. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Today is daughter's birthday, which is also her grandmother's birthday. I wonder if other families have a lot of shared birthdays with close family members. My sis and I have same birthday. My son and his cousin share. Bro-in-law and his nephew share days. My daughter's best friend share same birth date. They met at work and when walking to the parking lot -- discovered they drove the same model, color and year of car. After getting to know one another better learned they were born on the same month / day / year. My neices share -- wait, they're twins, but you get the picture. Anyone else? Here's a fun fact - Sept. 9th is the most common birthday. More people born in September than any other month.   

We don't have any of the same birthdays in my family, we have a lot of same birthday months.

I had to laugh when I read your post though, @jeanlake, cause my birthday is Sept. 9! I have never met anyone else who shared that birthday, but my cousins in Sept 4th.

Honored Contributor

It's common, The Birthday Paradox.  In a group of randomly selected people the probabilty exists that some 2 of them will have the same birthday.  50% probability with 23 (or maybe 25) people up to 100% with 99 people in the group.  I remember that from a statistics class many years ago.  And from my own family we have several  same birthdays .

Esteemed Contributor

My husband suggested September births to holiday festivities. Perhaps  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I am a twin, have twin daughters, twin granddaughters, and triplet granddaughters. My mother's bday was the same as my twin grands.
I worked with three different people during my teaching career who shared my birthday.
Honored Contributor

DH and I are three days apart.  We just exchange cards since they're 10 days after Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I was born on my great aunt's birthday and she would always give me "on our mutual birthday" cards.  She has been gone for many years but it was nice sharing a birthday with her.  She was like another grandmother and lived next door to my grandmother, her sister. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess what a story you have. Love it. Also like your nic. I so loved recess, lunch and art class!

Trusted Contributor

My daughter and my nephew share the same birthday, 3 years apart.  They will be 25 and 28 in six days and this will be their first shared birthday spent apart.  😕

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, here goes...my two oldest grandchildren, brother and sister, share the same birthday, three years apart. My oldest daughter had her own daughter on her birthday so mother and daughter can celebrate together. My best friend’s granddaughter was born on the same date as my daughter. My first two beagles shared the same birthday. In a less than happy coincidence, my best friend’s mother and my father died on the very same day.