Honored Contributor

Music: song, Run For The Roses

Oh my gosh, I heard this the other day in the store, and I haven't heard it in ages.  It's such beautiful music.  I know in the past around the Kentucky Derby time, I've heard it played, just because of the title.

Do  you recall this too?

Respected Contributor

Re: Music: song, Run For The Roses

Oh Absolutely ....

Regular Contributor

Dan Fogelberg sings this song. I love all his music!!

Honored Contributor

I had never heard this song. I looked it up on youtube and listened.  What a beautiful song.  Thanks for your post!

Valued Contributor

I love that song.  Although, I've moved away, I'm from KY (near Louisville) and I've been to the Derby....great grandstand seats.

I have to watch the Derby every year and I always cry when I hear MY Old Kentucky Home.

So many great memories made in KY.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, beautiful, haunting melody. The same with his auld lang syne version. One of the best small concert venues I stumbled onto was a compilation of Fogelberg songs performed at Door County, WI theatre in Ephraim Bay. Tears trickled down my cheeks. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  Love the song Run for the Roses and most of Dan Fogelbergs music. Such a talent.

Honored Contributor

I’m reviving this thread.

Did not know Dan Fogelberg had passed away...2007😰

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Oh my gosh, I heard this the other day in the store, and I haven't heard it in ages.  It's such beautiful music.  I know in the past around the Kentucky Derby time, I've heard it played, just because of the title.

Do  you recall this too?

@qualitygalYes, I do.  I love the song.  It makes me teary.  You know...how things just too beautiful do?  When I hear it, in my mind I picture a beautiful, powerful horse.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

This is a lovely song but one that also makes me teary. It reminds me of the horse name Barbaro who was destined to win the Triple Crown but injured it's leg during a race and after a long battle to try to save the horse, it had to be put down. There is a statue of Barbaro in front of Churchchill Downs.

I dislike horse racing, or dog racing.

Stewball is another song that brings tears to my eyes. At one of Joan Baez's concerts she altered the words to pay homage to Barbaro.