Respected Contributor

Re: Mother's Day - saddest day of the year for some...

@sarahpanda I agree, I believe it's sadder for Mother's who have lost a child, than daughter who have lost their Mothers. I have an acquaintance who recently loss a daughter to suicide, she's already lost 1 in a car accident. To lose 2 young children has to be a horrible pain. I know I will be thinking of her this Mother's Day. My heart just breaks for her, even tho we are not close friends. 

Valued Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Yes here it comes again...the dreaded 'Mother's Day' for ones who have felt the pain of losing their child .  Unknowing , kind people are quick to say ''Happy Mother's Day" or "How was your Mother's Day?"   If you've lost a child, I can almost guarantee you that it is --or is going to be pretty awful.  I know there is no way that others can know of your (and my) loss - but Mother's Day still hurts to the core. Tread lightly, dear friends - the scar will never heal.

My husband died at age 51 and my dear MIL is still with us. I struggle with that day because I feel I need to call her on his behalf to wish her a Happy Mother's Day but I know it's a very difficult day for her. I don't know how to bring her comfort. There are many miles between us so I can't go to her and give her a hug as I would like to do. This year is a double whammy as it falls on what would have been my husband's 55th birthday. So it will be extra tough this year for her (and for me). I am sorry for your loss @sarahpanda. All I can say is that I hope you can find comfort and peace on this day in the memories you had with this child. If not this year, then someday.

Valued Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Rather tired (yawn) of all the 'happy' this and that.  Just seems to be so overdone and it goes on - for days.  We hear..........Happy Valentine's Day........Happy Mother's Day.........and Dad...........and Happy St Patty's Day.  As you have pointed out, not everyone is happy on these occasions.  Some of it is nice and cheerful; but not to those who have lost loved ones.  Personally, I just don't wish 'happy_______...prefer to say ...have a great weekend or day.

The reason these Hallmark holidays were invented was to boost sales - florists, greeting card companies, jewelers etc thrive on these made-up themes. I think it's great if people want to participate, but it really seems to me that now most people do it out of a sense of obligation. Just my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

This will be my first Mother's Day without my mother.  And yes, it is making me feel very sad.  I think it's truly wonderful that this day was made so that people can show apprecation for their moms and do special things for them.  Embrace your mothers, treasure them and honor them, always.  Life is so uncertain.  Make the most of your time together.  That's the most important thing.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

We have no children by choice. But I lost my Mom and Mothers day is bittersweet now.

Respected Contributor

to Tx Starlight:    My 7 year old daughter died and also my 71 year old mom.  I can honestly tell you, that losing my child is much worse that the death of my mother...and I loved my mom dearly !  It's just that losing a child is  wholly contrary to nature, so to speak....Losing a mom is more of the natural order of things.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  OMG - my first husband died on valentines day so my current husband and I decided to get married on Valentines Day for the same reason - to get my mind off that memory every year. I now wake up that morning every year and say a prayer for my dear departed husband but then I leave it - and enjoy the rest of my anniversary. Not always a good thing to dwell on unhappy memories - acknowledge them and then leave that to God and get back to the living.

Esteemed Contributor

I lost my Mom 7 years ago and she would want my son to celebrate me. She would not like it if I was sad, she’d want me to celebrate her and we do. We get together and it doesn’t take long for, remember mom always said this or did that and we laugh and laugh. Whether she is here or not, we honor our beautiful mom who was amazing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@staciesmom

I don't feel the original intent of these special days were for economic profit reasons. Look around now, how many things/days etc. are not done to increase profits for someone, or some corporation? Things have changed a lot during my many decades on this earth, and money seems to be the primary goal in life for way too many people. Just my opinion!

hn

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

It is a sad day for me, too. I lost a son 19 years ago, and though I do have another son, I can't help but feel some sadness. I wish there were no such thing as Mother's Day.

Deep In The Heart of Texas