Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother's Day - saddest day of the year for some...

@hayseed00 Thanks for sharing that wonderful story Heart

@blackhole99 Your son sounds awfully sweet! Heart

Valued Contributor

To be frank, I've always hated Father's Day since mine died when I was 5 years old---everyone in school was busy making their Father's Day cards--I made one--for no one. Horrible, horrible memories. Not one child in my schools did not have a father--I was always the odd one out.

And now--that my Mom passed in 2014--I couldn't care less about Mother's Day. I do not have children by choice.

I wish they would do away with holidays like these. Just my opinion, of course. Very bad memories and hurt for me as a child.

Honored Contributor

Hayseed0 !!

Your post touched me very much, it was beautifully expressed and meaningful.  You honored the memory of your parents and sister through this post  and  I just had to comment, God bless you.

Valued Contributor

Ugh....Mother’s Day

My brother passed away at age 37. Every Mother’s Day I would see my mom graciously say thank you when someone wished her a Happy Mother’s Day, knowing the grief she was feeling.

My mom passed away 1 1/2 years ago and the pain is no less than the day she died. 

I am not a mom. Not by choice. When someone wishes me a Happy Mother’s Day I graciously say thank you as I am reminded of the child we so desperately wanted. 

It’s just not a good day for me. Blessings to all those who have lost a child or their mom. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom

My story is pretty much the opposite of yours, except, I never had father. Unlike your life with everyone but you having a father, I grew up in Public Housing Projects, where no family had a father. The only kids I knew with a father, were the ones I went to a Catholic School with, who also lived actual houses.

I have never been much on any "special days", even many national holidays. Until my marriage in 2002, Valentine's Day was anything but a happy day. My maternal grandfather/maternal grandmother, and my mother all died on February 14th, Valentine's Day. Not only that, they all died "exactly" 13 years apart/1943/1956/1969.

I chose to have our wedding on that day to have a happy event to remember each time that day came around. Now Valentine's Day reminds me more of happy than sad.

In spite of an absent father, I had as happy a childhood as a youngster could during those years.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone suffers losses. Some people never get past the pain. If I felt that way I would be seeking therapy to help me. And before you tell me I don't know what your going thru - I've had 2 miscarriages, my husband died when I was 30 and both my parents died as the result of  a car accident and my brother died in Viet Nam.

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate all who have come here to share their history.  It serves as a reminder to be very careful not to assume anything.  I cannot imagine the heartbreak of losing a child, having a miscarriage was bad enough.  I guess it is a tribute to the human spirit to see how many people can overcome tragedy and go on to find meaning in their lives.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutYou seem to have learned a lot from those days in the projects. Rather than live a life of bitterness, you have pulled yourself up and your posts are positive.  What a lovely tribute to your mother!  She must have been a fabulous woman.  You, in turn, seem to be an interesting (and sensitive) man. How touching that you choose Valentine's Day to be married. Your wife married an unusual man. So did I. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.

Three years ago we lost our home, all of our contents and both cars in a hurricane/ flood. 

16 feet of water in our house- we were in the attic. Two weeks later, while dealing with the house, flood insurance and attorneys, my daughter told us to “get the F*ck” out of her house. No explanation to this day and no contact of any kind with her or our 3 beautiful grandchildren. I understand the dread of Mother’s Day. God bless you.

Respected Contributor

@Sad Mimi wrote:

Three years ago we lost our home, all of our contents and both cars in a hurricane/ flood. 

16 feet of water in our house- we were in the attic. Two weeks later, while dealing with the house, flood insurance and attorneys, my daughter told us to “get the F*ck” out of her house. No explanation to this day and no contact of any kind with her or our 3 beautiful grandchildren. I understand the dread of Mother’s Day. God bless you.

Thats horrible Sad Mimi. Why would your daughter treat you like this ? Perhaps it was stressed induced? If the house was flooded she may have been acting out of stress. I would try to contact her. There must have been some reason for her vile behavior?