Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother's Day - saddest day of the year for some...

Rather tired (yawn) of all the 'happy' this and that.  Just seems to be so overdone and it goes on - for days.  We hear..........Happy Valentine's Day........Happy Mother's Day.........and Dad...........and Happy St Patty's Day.  As you have pointed out, not everyone is happy on these occasions.  Some of it is nice and cheerful; but not to those who have lost loved ones.  Personally, I just don't wish 'happy_______...prefer to say ...have a great weekend or day.

Valued Contributor

@Gracies Mom   I could have written your post -- almost word for word.  I too lost my father when I was 5 -- and I too was the only one.  Those memories of making Father's Day cards stay with you forever.  I also remember every year on the first day of school when the teacher would read everybody's names and the names of their parents.  I can still feel what it was like sitting there waiting for my name to be called.  There is nothing worse as a young child than to be viewed as being differnet from everyone else.  You have to have lived it to understand.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gracies Mom I feel your pain, to say it is devastating is the understatement of all time.

I don't believe there is another feeling on earth like that.

@Sad Mimi I'm so sorry for what you went through! A person never knows what their adult child is capable of. Terrible!

Honored Contributor

Life can throw all kinds of curves at us and some are very difficult but we need to mourn and try to pick ourselves, smile again and carry on because that is what the one you lost would want.  I lost my mother and it was very difficult (it's about 5 years now) but she was 89 and lived a full life.  Sometimes tears come to my eyes but I also remember all the good times and that makes me happy and smile.  Take care.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I've read some very sad responses in this thread. I'm sorry that those words Happy Mother's Day touch a nerve. There are times when certain greetings do not pertain to me but I just say a simple thank you knowing no harm was intended.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillowyes he is, he's an only child and proud of being a Mamma's boy.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My mother died 41 years ago today - I was 24.  It was a Thursday and  her wake was held on that Sunday - which was Mother's Day.  I hate this holiday.  Mother's Day is bad enough when your mother is gone, but it also being the anniversary of her passing makes it even worse.   Unfortunately, I am not a mother - definitely not by choice.  All around a very sad day for me.

Valued Contributor

I would never take a "Happy this or that" personally.  I think it is just an innocuous, well-meaning salutation.   

I would not want  any of the holidays to be removed.   There are countries in the world who don't celebrate ANYTHING but military parades.    

To those of you who are suffering: I am so sorry for your losses.

It is a sentimental holiday but I wouldn't want to take the joy from someone else.  I have been overcome with emotion this week because of the missing people in my life, but I don't take the holiday personally.    

Super Contributor

I will say this - 

we must  wake up each day and give thanks for our health and for what we have versus what we all have lost ...

There is no time to feel sorry for the losses as I know for sure there are so many people with equal or worse situations by far -  just read through these posts and you will see 

Practice  looking at what you have and give thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Elri  wrote:

I would never take a "Happy this or that" personally.  I think it is just an innocuous, well-meaning salutation.   

I would not want  any of the holidays to be removed.   There are countries in the world who don't celebrate ANYTHING but military parades.    

To those of you who are suffering: I am so sorry for your losses.

It is a sentimental holiday but I wouldn't want to take the joy from someone else.  I have been overcome with emotion this week because of the missing people in my life, but I don't take the holiday personally.    

@Elri , I totally agree with you. It's impossible to go through life without losses and heartbreak. Many of us have had deaths of loved ones on or around holidays, lost or couldn't have children, had absent or cruel parents, and other devestating experiences BUT that doesn't justify begrudging the happiness of other people.