Trusted Contributor

Mother's Day - saddest day of the year for some...

Yes here it comes again...the dreaded 'Mother's Day' for ones who have felt the pain of losing their child .  Unknowing , kind people are quick to say ''Happy Mother's Day" or "How was your Mother's Day?"   If you've lost a child, I can almost guarantee you that it is --or is going to be pretty awful.  I know there is no way that others can know of your (and my) loss - but Mother's Day still hurts to the core. Tread lightly, dear friends - the scar will never heal.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother's Day - saddest day of the year for some...

in 1981 my mom died suddenly at the age of 57.....you're right....the scar never heals....

Honored Contributor

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/75/50/12/755012b5ee68904db760480a4b14c3cb.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly understand the sadness at Mother’s Day. On Mother’s Day weekend, my mother will be 96. She’s been through a great deal but has come though by virtue of her strength and devotion to family. She’s amazing!

Trusted Contributor

I have never experienced the death of a child, but I lost my sister at age nineteen.  I was twentyone at the time and will never forget the terrible pain and emotional agony our family went through especially my Mom who went into a deep depression for months but seemed like years to my Dad, Brother and myself.  My Mom cut herself off from the world.  I don't know how my Dad endured it but he hung in there trying to keep some normalacy in our lives.  One day my Mom came out of her bedroom and her whole demeanor changed from sad to "Im ready to live again"  Mom told me that my sister had come to  her when she was sleeping and told Mom that she was in Heaven and everything was alright.  My sister told Mom that she wanted her to get on with her life and that she would be waiting for her and not to worry.  My Mom did get on with living and enjoying her life, but always had the empty spot in her heart for my sis.  My Mom and Dad are now in Heaven reunited with my Sister.  My thoughts go out to you so that your heart can remember the beautiful memories of your child.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I was (am) an only child, and my mom died when I was just 11 years old.  Enough said.

Blessings to all who feel as I do.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't think of wishing someone a happy Mother's Day unless I knew them and their situation. People just assume you have kids or that you are even celebrating the holiday with your kids. Some kids don't want to be bothered or forget. Thank goodness I'm lucky  to have a son who cares about me and text me today asking what I want to do for Mother's Day.

Respected Contributor

yes... a good idea not to wish a Happy Day unless you know the

person ... I don't think I ever have .. but will for sure not now ....

On the other side of the coin ... I did not get along with my Mother ...

so ....these things happen ...

But thanks for the heads up ...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

People who have lost their mothers, mothers who have lost a child or children and women who have tried unsuccessfully to become a mother.

Truly a very difficult day for many men and women.

Honored Contributor

Having had no children, by choice, I can only imagine the pain for those that have/are experiencing that loss. There is no way I can completely understand your, and other mothers experiencing the same. I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your child and that you can find some way to lessen your pain when others unknowingly use that phrase.

I personally can only relate to the loss of my mother when I was 29 years old, back on Valentine's Day 1969. She raised myself and my 3 older sisters all by herself and I still feel her loss every single day, not just 1 particular day.

There are many that have lost their mothers that post on this forum, some very recently, and others similar to myself. Days such as this also can bring back the times when their mother was still a big part of their lives. Certain "specially designated days" are anything but happy for millions of people, but life goes on.

Again I am so sorry you have lost a child and there is no way I can fully relate to your pain, but trying to understand, the forever pain associated with this saddest of times for all parents.

My best thoughts to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)