Honored Contributor

Re: Mother's Day gift for 95 yr old

I'd get her the softest lap cover you can find. When they don't move around, are on the frail side, maybe she can hand feel the softness of a lap cover. It should be washable. Comfort, capital C. Low key, most appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

My parents are both quite elderly.  One is still living in their home and one is in a nursing home.  They both like having flowers to look at inside the home as they don't get outside as much anymore.

Honored Contributor

How about a bouquet a lovely flowers?! Perfect!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Do you live close enough to visit her?  If so, that an a couple of flowers would be the best gift.

Respected Contributor

My thoughts for her gift would be the gift of you spending the day with her. It can be lonely as we age and many would talk for days of a gift of your presence. If you do not live close enough to visit, maybe a phone call or a heartfelt long message in a card that someone could read to her. Just let her know what she has meant to you over the years. I used to vaolunteer at a hospital and would read the mail to the patient's. I will never forget the looks of love and the tears that someone remembered them. Priceless.

I have never put a monetary value on anything in my life. The gift of someone's time makes my day. Just relaxing with someone I love or that loves me is all I need.

My children want to know what to give me for Mother's Day. I need nothing from them but their love. My three children are in their late 40's and 50's and every one of them call or email me every day just to say they love me and their Dad. After 52 years my husband and I still write notes to each other. This week it was on a sheet of Bounty. That to me is love!

Trusted Contributor

How about planting a tree in her children's memory?  There's a website where it only costs $9.99 called A Living Tribute and they send a very nice commentative card.  I've done this several times when a friend or family member lost a loved one.  My sister did this with another website where 5 trees were planted in our son's name.  That has a lot of meaning to me!

Esteemed Contributor

How about some homemade cookies and maybe her favorite tea or coffee? Everything could be put in a nice basket - unless your mailing then maybe a pretty tin.

Respected Contributor

A wrap/shawl, elderly people always are cold.

A nice bright color would be nice.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My mother has passed, but my friend's mother is like a mother to me. I would like to send her a little something----nothing expensive because she would feel bad and would feel as if she needed to pay me back. She is in a wheelchair and rarely leaves the house except to go to the doctor, so clothes, jewelry are out. I just want to remember her on this day where she will be remembering the loss of her 2 children whom she outlived. Suggestions appreciated.

I forgot to say she can't see well and can't read English, so that narrows down my choices--no books, magazines etc. Socks and candy or nice saying are good suggestions.

In this case, I think a floral arrangement or a lovely plant would be ideal.  Perhaps a box of chocolates, if you think she would enjoy that. 

Contributor

AS a former nurse,a person that age would love a visit. If you live to far away,a phone call is priceless. Since you mentioned,she is in a wheelchair,they love lap robes. What a wonderful day to celebrate with a friendSmiley Happy