Trusted Contributor

Mother's Day gift for 95 yr old

[ Edited ]

My mother has passed, but my friend's mother is like a mother to me. I would like to send her a little something----nothing expensive because she would feel bad and would feel as if she needed to pay me back. She is in a wheelchair and rarely leaves the house except to go to the doctor, so clothes, jewelry are out. I just want to remember her on this day where she will be remembering the loss of her 2 children whom she outlived. Suggestions appreciated.

I forgot to say she can't see well and can't read English, so that narrows down my choices--no books, magazines etc. Socks and candy or nice saying are good suggestions.

Super Contributor

Re: Mother's Day gift for 95 yr old

[ Edited ]

What about a lovely frame with a family photo if you have one or a small "brag book" photo album?  Other suggestions if she likes music some cd"s, books on tape or perhaps  a bird feeder she can view from a window.  Good luck

Trusted Contributor

Hi,  if my mom was still here she always had cold feet...there are so many nice fuzzy warm socks out now...and they are not overy expensive.   I even got myself some at T.J. Maxx that had aloe in them, so helps with dry feet too.   I think $6.00 a pair...pretty spring colors.

A nice small flower plant, if she has no alergies.  Does she like candy....small box of soft centers?  

I am sure she will love your gestue no matter what you give her.  I have a 2nd mom too and she will be 95 in June.  Glad you remember her so fondly.

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

I was thinking along the same line as socks.  Also, slippers, a throw blanket, pajamas, bathrobe or even something that you made and had printed out on some nice paper at a local print shop or home computer and had it framed.  (long sentence)  A nice quote or saying, just letting her know how fond you are of her, something to cherish.  

Melvin, Customer Care

Honored Contributor

For all of my older friends, I have always sent beautiful floral arrangements.   Many had never received a floral delivery, so it made them feel very special.  Every one of them told me they wanted their flowers while they were living, not covering their graves when they are gone.    

Honored Contributor

Box of cookies, tea bags, jam, frameless candle, night light, shoulder wrap

Respected Contributor

What about some really nice luxury hand cream.  My mother always loved this and sometimes we forget older people still like a little cosmetic type gift.

Valued Contributor

I gave my mom a box of Russell Stover chocolates for Mother's Day today. Yumola!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My mother has passed, but my friend's mother is like a mother to me. I would like to send her a little something----nothing expensive because she would feel bad and would feel as if she needed to pay me back. She is in a wheelchair and rarely leaves the house except to go to the doctor, so clothes, jewelry are out. I just want to remember her on this day where she will be remembering the loss of her 2 children whom she outlived. Suggestions appreciated.

I forgot to say she can't see well and can't read English, so that narrows down my choices--no books, magazines etc. Socks and candy or nice saying are good suggestions.

I would suggest something like a pretty throw or small blanket, along with hand cream  with a nice scent.  And of course a heartfelt note or card.

Or just a heartfelt note or card along with a rose (or 2, if you want to subtly reference her children) or maybe a small flower arrangement.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Hi @geegerbee

My mom is 94 Smiley Happy .

Since you do not want to give clothes, I will list non clothing items we gift my mom (ones that she likes best):

Blanket for her bed, or a throw for her lap. My mom os always chilly...even when it is 80F! I got the Berkshire Velvet Soft Gradient 3 pack from QVC at xmas. It is a huge hit (I kept one for myself. I love it and so does she.). It is 50" x 70", lightweight, yet very warm. If QVC is out of stock, check BedBath&Beyond for similar types. My mom does not like heavy blankets because it is hard for her to get out of bed to use the bathroom at night. The light wt blankets are easier for her to get out of.

Non slip indoor outdoor soled slippers. We give my mom the ones that look like moccasin loafers. Very cute and she wears them as shoes when she goes out to the doctor, or on day trips with us. They are comfy and warm, as they have a fuzzy lining. They slip on, which makes it easy for her to wear. 

Flannel pjs. Again, my mom is always cold. She loves these even in summer, because we run the a/c.

Body and hand lotion. Her skin is delicate, so the aides always apply lotoon after her showers. Maybe get a pretty gift set of body wash and lotion? Something to make her feel pampered. 

Coffee cups or beverage cups.

My mom needs cups with handles to drink out of. They are easier for her. And they have to be the 6 or 8 oz size, not the huge 10 or 12 oz ones, as those are very heavy. We got some cute clear glass 6 oz ones at BedBath&Beyond for her to drink water, teas, and juices from. She has 8 oz regular mugs for coffee.

Digital clock or a large, pretty calendar. 

These really help to keep seniors aware of what month, day, date, and time. 

Senior puzzle game books!

We have a lot of these for my mom. It keeps her mind active. She is great at the picture puzzle types of books (you compare two almost identical pics, and you must find the slight differences). We also have the Joggin' Your Noggin' series, 1 - 4. She is on 3. Smiley Happy  

QVC has a motor visual skill electronic game that she loves to play. It is called Flashpad. Not sure if it is still avail?  She also likes to play memory card games such as Concentrattion. They have cards with cutely drawn images on them. You can find these in the kids' toy area.  Coloring books are also fun for her, but she likes the children coloring books. The adult type designs are too intricate and tiny for her to color.

I know you said no clothing, but what does she wear during the day? If pajamas, then my suggestion to buy some, is good. But if she does wear day clothes, you can get her a pretty cardigan. Again, most seniors are always chilly.  Target jas pretty ones at affordable prices, as does Macys.

Soft, absorbant, but non heavy bath towel sets are always good. I would get a pretty color, as white tends to look a bit too hospital-y, or so says my mom. Smiley Happy Get a set with a bath towel, hand towel, and face towel. Maybe add in a bath scrubby sponge....do not know what they are called...but they come in pretty colors and are antimicrobial.

Cosmetics!

Well, I am not talking a full on smokey eye kit (though I do have fun dolling my mom up with a bit of blush and some lipgloss when we go out or she has company over!), lol, but some subtle cosmetic items that my mom loves are:

Tinted lip balms (chapstick type) with a bit of a tint. We get my mom the Burts Bees tinted chapsticks. They are very moisturizing, and the tint of color is very subtle, but it is very pretty. 

Nail polish! Nail file, and nail brush

My mom loves bling, haha, but even a CLEAR polish would be a great gift IF the lady has someone to help groom her. It serves a practical purpose ....the polish helps protect the nails from drying out from water use. Most seniors need to use the bathroom frequently, which means LOTS of handwashing each day. Dried out nails can split and break. Maybe get her some clear polish that strengthens nails, a big soft nail file, and maybe a pink tinted transparent polish. Sally Hansen makes good, yet inexpensive ones. Perfect Formula Gel Coat Polish from qvc is really good, too. Nail brushes come in bright, fun colors, and are great to help keep her nails clean. They are about $1 each.

Face cream Smiley Happy

This will make her feel special.  My mom likes Loreal Revitalift. Smiley Happy She is so cute, she puts it on every morning, after washing her face. 

Soft hair brush and wide tooth comb set. 

Senior hair is often delicate. We use a ball tipped brush on her hair, as it is gentler on the scalp. Tangle Teaser is also gentle! We use wide toothed combs for her silky, fine hair. 

If she has someone taking care of her, how about a snap on roller set, along with the brush and comb? Sally has some snap cover roller sets. Velcro ones are too harsh. Magnetic do not work well on fine hair. And who wants to mess with bobbypins or metal clips? The snap cover rollers work best. 

SBS-292644.jpg

Those rollers are only $4 per pack. Maybe you can put together a Beauty Pamper Time Box or Beauty Basket and incl the tinted chapstick, face cream, small body lotion and body cream, hair brush, comb, rollers, and nail polish and brush!  You could probably do it all for $25. to $30. Smiley Happy I bet it would make her feel special. You do not have to go out in order to have a reason to get dolled up.  We make it a salon day, every day, for my mom.

Exercise equipment.

Grip strength is important for seniors. Gaiammakes a hand therapy kit that has several resistance balls. We have mymom use these daily. Only a few min per day is needed. 

73293240024240p.jpg

BedBath&Beyond online has them. You can find in walmart and target, too. 

NON latex, YELLOW, Exercise resistance  bands ...just the bands, not the hard plastic handled ones!...are great too. She can really strengthen her arms, chest, shoulders with very low resistance. Get the easy resistance kind. She just wraps them around her hands (or grips the band) and pulls the band apart. She can do this while seated in her wheel chair. These are used in geriatric rehab sessions. They are safe and effective. Again, just get the plain, wide, yellow bands...not the tubes or bands with the hard plastic handles! Those can be projectiles if she were to lose her grip! Just get the plain, flat, wide bands in NON latex. Yellow is the lightest resistance. Just 5 to 10 min, every other day, is great exercise for seniors.

I hope these ideas help! 

Sorry for any typos, I am on my tablet....