Respected Contributor

Vivian Florimond, What is c-diff ??

Esteemed Contributor

There are links in earlier posts explaining what c-diff is, but suffice it to say it is an intestinal infection with miserable symptoms, in some cases brought on after antibiotic therapy. I had IV antibiotics for my knee replacement and that is the likely culprit. I am now on a second medication, Vancomycin, because I am still not well after almost ten days. I am seeing my gastroenterologist in a week (if I can leave the house) but have been on the phone with his office every day. This is no fun!

Honored Contributor

Thought of you today and said a prayer.  It seems like trials come in bundles sometimes.  

Trusted Contributor

Sorry to read you are still feeling so unwell, @Vivian. I hope and pray the new medication brings you much needed relief. 

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

There are links in earlier posts explaining what c-diff is, but suffice it to say it is an intestinal infection with miserable symptoms, in some cases brought on after antibiotic therapy. I had IV antibiotics for my knee replacement and that is the likely culprit. I am now on a second medication, Vancomycin, because I am still not well after almost ten days. I am seeing my gastroenterologist in a week (if I can leave the house) but have been on the phone with his office every day. This is no fun!

@Vivian

I can most definitely empathize with you.  Two years ago I ended up with c-diff after many weeks of antibiotics for a tooth extraction, dental implant and Mohs surgery. Initially my gastro diagnosed me with H pylori.  After treatment and a two week no medication period, I was no better.  My PCP asked if anyone asked for a stool samples.  I had C-diff. First I was treated with Metronidazole.  Another 3 weeks passed and I was no better.  I then had Vancomycin.  It worked. 

I am happy to read your knee is doing well.  I know you have a great deal of other things to deal with.

Esteemed Contributor

Lulu, our stories sound similar. I just read a study that said Vancomycin should be the first line of defense if C-diff is moderate. Of course, I don’t know how bad things have to get before a case is deemed moderate. I suppose if the Flagyl doesn’t work, then the docs give you the stronger stuff.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian

Prayers that you will start getting better. It's a serious condition, gentle hugs

Regular Contributor

Praying for you @Vivian. You've been thru so much.