Honored Contributor

Today we met with a financial planner.  I've always believed that no one looks after your own money like yourself but then I have a series #7 and 63 and worked as an intraday trader.  We originally saw him regarding our trusts and now he is talking about being our financial planner.  His charge is an annual 2% of the value of the account, whether it makes money or not.  Does this seem reasonable to you?  Would appreciate any sharing regarding financial adviser fees.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Met with Financial Planner

[ Edited ]

That would be too much for me I think.

I read some interesting articles in investopedia-

They show some better financial planning that charges .15%-.25%.(robo advisors-Wealthfront, Betterment)

I think if someone charged 2% whether you earned or lost, I would want to do it myself if I had money to invest!

It always pays to do lots of research before entrusting someone with your money. You can also read reviews from others.

You could use Morningstar as a source if doing it on your own.

If nothing else, it can be fascinating to read whether you are investing or not.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay  Your post mirrors my thinking.  Thanks for your comments!

Contributor

Be careful of financial planners period!!

Honored Contributor

Don't you watch TV?   Don't trust people with your money if you want it to stay yours.

Valued Contributor

We use SPP.  Serta PosturePedic.  

Honored Contributor

@Elri wrote:

We use SPP.  Serta PosturePedic.  

Oh!!

@Elri -

lol! At first I thought, wait, that's a mattress! Did she get her threads confused and think we are talking about mattresses? 

Then, oh! Lightbulb! $ Under the mattress! 

I'm a little slow, ok a lot slow but I get it!

very clever responseSmiley HappyWoman Very Happy!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

We’ve always done our own investing. DH is good at the segment we invest in.  Over the years of course there were a few times things didn’t work as we’d planned but the vast majority has been in our favor.

When I quit working I had to choose a financial firm to manage my retirement funds that came from my account through work. Told the planner I didn’t want it put in a certain type of account but come to find out, in a round about way, he did exactly what I’d not wanted.  As retirement goes, it’s not a ton of money.  And it’s gaining which is why he did that.  But this experience sure made me glad DH has taken care of the bulk of our $ all these years.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your responses....reflects my concerns also.  I don't think we will be making another appointment.  @Elri   at least with SPP you know you are not losing your money!

Esteemed Contributor

The best financial planner for your money 💵 is you,period!!  I would never pay anyone 2% of the value of my account annually.Sounds like a scam to me!! So he gets paid wether you make money or not.The only person who seems to be in line to benefit💰 from this deal is him!!

You got this one @phoenixbrd .You can do it!!