Honored Contributor

@SurferWife  I started around 40 and it took 10 years.  I got migraines and crying for no reason was common for me.  The hot flashes and night sweats were horrendous.  My doctor gave me a 2 page list of symptoms related to menopause that most doctors just dismiss.  She also told me to eat a yam (not sweet potato) every day and the hot flashes and night sweats were nearly all gone.  My mother had only a few hot flashes and within a year was through it.  Hang in there - for me the end result was freeing!!

Honored Contributor

I actually only had only one horrible hot flash when I began menopause. I can remember the time and place. But all the rest were minimal. Mine lasted for a good ten years. I now don't experience any type of hot flash symptoms. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife : Well everyone is different. I was a premature baby born 1954 and by age 2 diagnosed with cerebral palsy and all my health issues were different. At age 35 had to keep a written journal to convince doctor that I was in memopause. So bad put on medicine. The hot flashes and cold horrible. Had breast cancer that didn't run in my family but caused by hormones- blessed because found early. Breast cancer in 2002.  The cancer medicine caused the menopause to be worse and of course can't take anything and weight increased and very difficult and slow to lose plus still dill with the hot and cold issue at 65. Dealing with food cravings sometimes is very difficult and frustrating.DH is very hot natured but because of my issues he is in his recliner bundled up. Does memopause stop- apparently not for me and because of medical history just can't take a lot of medicine or over the counter stuff. Not bitter just Blessed to still be alive. Don't like my weight and previously always underweight. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I had horrible - I mean horrible hot flashes - for a very long time.  I would get sick to my stomach and feel like I was burning up from the inside out!  My face and neck would get hot and red and I would even feel light-headed.  The back of my neck around my hairline would perspire.  Awful!  Doctor wanted to put me on hormones but - nope -- not for me.  Hot drinks did seem to make it worse, as well as spicy food and alcohol. I always had to have plenty of ice water and this seemed to relieve it somewhat.  Wore clothing in layers so that I could remove them when needed.  Hang in there --- it's no fun! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

-------------------------

I went through menopause without hormone replacement etc and am glad I did.  I found a few tricks to help.

• I kept a wet, cold washcloth in my desk at work.  I'd wet it and put it in my lunch bag each morning.  If I forgot one, I'd keep a handful of cold, wet papertowels from the restroom in my desk.
  • I had to stop taking super hot showers as they triggered hot flashes.  I still do a cold/cool rinse at the end.   
  • I wore lighter clothing.  I even quit wearing layers because I'd have to take a layer off by the time I got to work.  I avoided wool and polyester fabrics and still don't wear them.  Cotton is the best for me.
  • Keep a small fan on your desk at work.  (After I retired, I worked in customer service at a grocery store and they let me have a small fan there too.)
  • Find the foods and drinks that trigger your hot flashes.  For me, I had to avoid wine and spicier foods.
  • I used to go outside in 20 below zero weather when having a hot flash.  It felt so good!

For me, my body temperature never went back to normal after menopause.  I'm hot most of the time now.  It does save on heating bills in the winter though. Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

I found switching to soya milk helped . I take multi vit and minerals . 

Have a fan at night as the flushes come and go .

Mood swings and  being tired gadually diminish .

Honored Contributor

I'm 65 and never really had a hot flash...so not everyone gets them.  I did however used to suffer a LOT with very bad PMS and cramps which sometimes were so painful that I had to go home from school.  Occasionally I would also get bad menstrual migraines in my 30s & 40s.

I was either 48 or 49 when I got my last period and for me menopause has been liberating!  

ETA:  I want to mention that I don't take any meds for menopause.

New Contributor

My doctor told me to take Black Cohosh for the hot flashes.  It works! Twice a day.  I use Spring Valley because the pills are small.  

Honored Contributor
I was well over 60 before onset of menopause. It was a total non-event. No symptoms- nothing. It seems to be a trait for the women in my family. Both my mother and grandmother had late menopause.
Esteemed Contributor

In my early 40's I started skipping periods.  I'd have 1 and then for 3 months nothing. No hot flashes.  During the non-period months I felt like I would start any minute, kind of cramppy but that's all.  Period would start I felt great. At 49 had a period one month and I was done.

DH had 2 hormone shots for prosate cancer, he had awful hot flashes.  He said he felt bad for women because he knew what they went thru.