Valued Contributor

Re: Menopause and Weight Gain

All my life I never had an issue with my stomach.  I was flat there and could fit into Size 4 pants and skirts.

All of a sudden after my period ended, I got a belly bloat.  I work out, walk, hike, bike, lift free weights, swim, but still have a little belly bloat and some of my skirts and pants don't fit anymore.  I've had to buy some Denim & Co. pull on's to get by with a new job recently.

You can't tell by looking at me, but there it is in all it's "glory" when I take off my clothes.   I do sit ups and work out at least 2-3 hours a day.  I've eliminated all desserts, and have lost weight which has helped... but the belly still won't go down, even with probiotics.  

I do eat a lot of grains, so that may contribute to it, too.  I hate it, it makes me feel old and ugly.

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake  Doesn't this just make you sick?  Same thing happened to me too.  Small frame, been THIN all my life until MENopause happened.  It was like I woke up one morning and there it was.  Over night I grew a belly and as much as I hate to admit, it's just gotten bigger, more protruding.  I HATE IT.  and yes it makes me feel fat, old, ugly.  I wish I knew the answer on how to rid myself of it.  My eating habits have changed too.  Nothing processed anymore, stopped this years ago.  I continue to clean up my diet even more, every day, it's ongoing, something I almost never not think about.  I'm at a weight that I've never weighed before.  Many women probably wish they weighed what I do but for me, this excess poundage is too much for me. 

You do so much more than I do - you're much more active than I am this I'll admit.  But like you when I do more, work out, exercise I stick with it for months but nothing happens, no weight drops off, the scale still reads the same. 

Now I'm on thyroid drug because of hypothyroidism.  Is this the cause of my effect?  I do not know.  Has the belly fat been building for the last some years because of hypo building up and no one recognizing it?  I do not know.  Is it just old age working into my life (I'm 63.5)?  I do not know.  What is the answer, what can we do, what must we do?  I do not know but I hate it and I'm tired of this growth I have in the mid section. 

Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of your responses.  I could relate to every comment.  

I just wanted to add that like a lot of you, I have increased or switched up my workouts.  I have made a few adjustments to diet.  One thing that has made some difference is that I eat my main meal at lunch and have lightened up dinner.  I try not to eat past 6pm.  I have found that looking at meal timing, size etc has helped about as much as everything else.   

Thanks again for your responses!!!!   Gayle2