Honored Contributor

Re: Men Begging For Money at Highway Off Ramps

If I can safely stop and give someone a hand out I will. I feel so bad that people have to stoop to begging in the richest country in the world. My husband will not stop, he thinks they may be scamming, but I won't take that chance. I have already rolled down the window and threw the money at the guy because I knew my husband wouldn't stop. I will not face my Maker and have him ask me why I didn't help the beggar when I have so much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have donated. I have seen women and families also.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie: They're most likely begging to be able to buy this for thier daughter Luxury-vestido-de-noiva-robe-de-mariage-2017-Sexy-Shining-White-Organza-Tulle-Ball-Gown-Gypsy - Edited.jpgWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

@cactusgal .....Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I do not give them money.

In most places these are an organized group that also shop lifts.  They stay on ramps because the lights hold you there. In our town and others, a van drops them off in the morning and picks them up.

I know  many store owners and people that work in other stores. They shoplift. They also are directed which people to walk up to in large parking lots.  The signs are always written with a fresh marker!

I give large donations to the agencies that help get these people back on their feet.

Valued Contributor

@1000Glosses wrote:

Homelessness can happen to anyone. Job loss, serious illness, and natural disasters can happen to anyone at anytime. Your friend knows this and empathize with these two men. For all anyone knows, they had homes and nice cars--and then something happened.

It's easier to judge other people than to acknowledge the fear that it can happen to us.

You're criticizing a friend that bought food for hungry people and had dinner with them to show some compassion and make them feel included again. What do you think is going to happen to her? The crime is that we allow homelessness and hunger in our supposedly richest country on earth. It just shows the poor have no one to lobby congress for them and that's just disgusting. People and businesses with money get more money; those without continue to go without because we'd rather turn our heads than acknowledge the problem.

I think your friend is a kind person. Follow her example and help someone. It starts with one person then more and more help, and, together, maybe we can solve this problem that is a result of the rampant greed gripping our nation.

DH and I are very generous kind people who choose not to encourage panhandling. My friend put herself into what could have been a very dangerous situation. There are many many social services available for people who find themselves in difficult circumstances.
Valued Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

If I can safely stop and give someone a hand out I will. I feel so bad that people have to stoop to begging in the richest country in the world. My husband will not stop, he thinks they may be scamming, but I won't take that chance. I have already rolled down the window and threw the money at the guy because I knew my husband wouldn't stop. I will not face my Maker and have him ask me why I didn't help the beggar when I have so much.

DH has a friend who owns a car repair shop - he hired one of the panhandlers and agreed to pay him $10 an hour to do odd jobs- the guy quit after 2 busy hours because he could make more standing on the roadside.

Honored Contributor

A good many of these people are frauds and some are dangerous.

There are lots and lots and lots of charities, churches and organizations that help people.  Give through them, work with them, donate to them.  Don't put your safety on the line when there are so many better ways to help. 

Honored Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

DH has a friend who owns a car repair shop - he hired one of the panhandlers and agreed to pay him $10 an hour to do odd jobs- the guy quit after 2 busy hours because he could make more standing on the roadside.

@staciesmom  That maybe true in that instance, but I want to sleep at night.

Respected Contributor

@staciesmom .....This is exactly why people need to open their eyes and see the scamming that is going on. I totally understand that people want to do the right thing and help, but the reality is, the scammers know this and prey on people's kindness. It's a very sad situtation. It really hurts the honest ones down on their luck. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.