Trusted Contributor

Re: Men Begging For Money at Highway Off Ramps

@staciesmom wrote:

I live in a rather small town and drive by 2 off ramps daily going to and coming from work - there are almost always men begging for money there. (usually the same 2 men for years) Today I was with a friend who told me that she usually either gives them money or offers food and has even bought food and eaten with one because he didn't want "to eat alone"!!!! I became alarmed and she had all these excuses for him: he was from out of town, didn't know where Salvation Army was on and on and on. I told her i am horrified. Do any of you donate or get involved with people who beg on the highway? I fear for her safety if she did this.

You have to make sure they are really homeless.  We have a local that drives his Lexus to his intersections.  He parks it away from his spot but many have seen him walking to and from the vehicle.

Respected Contributor

@1000Glosses  There are more than enough wonderful places that homeless can get help. But the problem is that some of these people have mental problems and don't want the help. Or drug problems. A sad situation.

In Springfield this winter, people went to homeless camps to take people to shelters. Some went with them but others wouldn't go. The weather was terrible and temps at zero.

Esteemed Contributor

I no longer stop to give $$. Too dangerous with other cars on ramps and prolonging stops in intersections. During a holiday season when kids were young, I was leaving the busy 'mall' and stopped at intersection for traffic light. While focused on person holding sign on driver's side of intersection -- someone grabbed my passenger side door and tried to open. He couldn't have been over 15 years old. DOOR LOCKED -- THANK GOODNESS. Kid was looking down at my handbag on passenger seat while I was stuck in traffic looking at his face. He glanced at me - I gave the horn a long honk - then he ran down the hill to a parked car. Called police when I got home (no cell phone back then) and they said that particular scam had been going on all day -- they were sending a police car to look for station wagon I described and to chat with guy holding sign. Long story to say --  keep moving.

Neice is an emergency room nurse. She convinced me not to give $$. In winter months, hospitals have many alcohol and drug related deaths due to passing out and freezing outdoors. 

This is where whispering a prayer or exending positive vibes is the best choice.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

We have a major homeless problem in my area, along with a major drug and crime problem. Community leaders and law enforcement are working hard to try and get a handle on all issues, but it seems to be a never ending battle. 

I do not hand out money to people on the street corners, but somebody is, because the same homeless people are standing on the same corners day after day, month after month.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@Reilley  That’s a terrible incident & I understand your concern. We only roll down the window a crack & only do it in daylight.The doors are always locked.

@Kachina624   I volunteer & contribute to a local food bank. I speak to the people who come in all the time. Some of them are homeless.Some of them beg for money at intersections. Their stories are heartbreaking. I understand your point but they are not all addicts.

Honored Contributor

I guess if it makes you feel better to believe they’re all drug addicts, that’s your perogative. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never give under these circumstances, although occasionally, I have directed beggars to local organizations that can help.  One particular instance stands out:  on State Street in Santa Barbara there are many beggars, on that day there was a young adult with his dog.  His sign said "My dog needs food---Steak!"

Respected Contributor

I'll never forget, one day a couple years ago, a guy was begging for money in my neighborhood. I had gone to my local CVS for something. He was standing in line ahead of me waiting to pay for a bottle of vodka. Cat Wink

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living and working in downtown Boston there are homeless people that ask me for money daily. Long ago I decided that if someone asks, I will give something but there are a few exceptions made recently.  There is one person would would always scream at me asking for more and more..... I have stopped giving to him.

My feeling is, I have more than enough for myself and my family and I  do also give to various non profits, but it doesn't take much for me to give a few dollars here and there and perhaps the people may not use it for the best things (like drugs or alcohol but how do I really know).  I have purchased food or coffee for these individuals as well.

I know everyone usually has strong feelings about this subject, but I always think, if I were ever in a situation where I really needed food or money and had to ask people on the street---I would really hope that someone would help me!!!  Thankfully I am not in that situation and so I do try to give a few dollars to anyone that asks!

Respected Contributor

@JasoninBoston ....I just want to say, that no matter what my opinions are or how anyone else feels about the subject, I think you are a kind, giving person and have a big heart.