Honored Contributor

@SurferWife  OMG!  If that's your picture can I say your hair is awesome!  I always wanted red-red hair!.  You look amazing.

Thanks for the heart.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Thank you! That was sweet of you to say. It’s Aveda color line. Their reds are so vibrant & long-lasting.

On another note, I enjoyed reading your post. That is what this weekend is all about...the beautiful fragrance of memories of those who sacrificed everything so we can live in freedom. ❤️

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife I especially liked your last line.  So many of our Veterans are struggling today.

I've read the statistics of how many are homeless and it's astounding!

At my age (and probably many of you) I have a lot of good friends who are Veterans.  Many of them say, "There but for the Grace of GOD go I".

What they're saying is "Were it not for loved one's or just things happening in life....I'd be in the same situation".

It just shouldn't be that way....

Two of my best guy friends get Veterans benefits every month.  But it is unbelievable the hoops they had to jump through to get these benefits.

If any of you know any Veterans who were in Agent Orange at any time during the War, they can get benefits from Veterans Affairs.  Agent Orange caused many problems (physical and psychological) for those soldiers who were in it.  Even if your Veteran came down with diabetes later in life, he can STILL get benefits from the government.

They might not know they were in Agent Orange.  The government knows exactly where and when it was used (it was for the purpose of getting rid of the vegetation).  If the Veteran will contact the Veterans Affairs and knows (even generally) where they were stationed, the government would help them.

They will walk the Veteran and their loved one's through every necessary step.

Please have them contact the Veterans Affairs office for information.  It varies from hundreds to thousands every single month.  Every amount helps.

Respected Contributor

Re: Memorial Day…

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, when I was a child, Memorial Day was a big deal.  Most work places closed, including stores!   There were parades.  High school bands participated and scout troops marched.  Old soldiers from long ago wars were honored as they were chauffeured in fancy convertibles in the parade.   All cemeteries were covered with floral arrangements and flags.   Taps were played by a high school trumpet player which brought tears to most.  

It's sad that today Memorial Day is just another day to go to the mall, or shop online. 

A question was asked about what could QVC do instead of just 24 hrs of selling.  May I suggest a short video showing Arlington cemetery and/or any other veterans' cemeteries across the country?   A reminder of what Memorial Day is about. 

Just selling some items in red, white, and blue is not enough. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@SurferWife I especially liked your last line.  So many of our Veterans are struggling today.

I've read the statistics of how many are homeless and it's astounding!

At my age (and probably many of you) I have a lot of good friends who are Veterans.  Many of them say, "There but for the Grace of GOD go I".

What they're saying is "Were it not for loved one's or just things happening in life....I'd be in the same situation".

It just shouldn't be that way....

Two of my best guy friends get Veterans benefits every month.  But it is unbelievable the hoops they had to jump through to get these benefits.

If any of you know any Veterans who were in Agent Orange at any time during the War, they can get benefits from Veterans Affairs.  Agent Orange caused many problems (physical and psychological) for those soldiers who were in it.  Even if your Veteran came down with diabetes later in life, he can STILL get benefits from the government.

They might not know they were in Agent Orange.  The government knows exactly where and when it was used (it was for the purpose of getting rid of the vegetation).  If the Veteran will contact the Veterans Affairs and knows (even generally) where they were stationed, the government would help them.

They will walk the Veteran and their loved one's through every necessary step.

Please have them contact the Veterans Affairs office for information.  It varies from hundreds to thousands every single month.  Every amount helps.

@Annabellethecat66.  Our friend has problems from Vietnam including Agent Orange. He gets amazing benefits and money. He also gets benefits from his town. No taxes on his home, etc.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

As you all disparage the OP for her opinion of QVC and the commercialization of Memorial Day, just remember the fallen died so she could have an opinion too.

@blackhole99. Also remember that everyone does not have to agree with the OP and they are also allowed an opinion. 

I don’t understand why you only want one opinion.

@proudlyfromNJ   No where did I say anyone needed to agree with the OP or that I didn't want anyone else to have an opinion. There's nothing to understand other than you read into my post what you wanted to.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Thank you for your post.  It's really sad that more people don't know about these benefits.

I don't think the VA does enough to spread the word that there is help out there for our Veterans.  

As I've mentioned one of my favorite shows on TV is "Navy Seals".  For the past two weeks they delved into some of the problems Veterans run into when trying to get help for injuries involving head trauma.

What the show talked about is that many soldiers don't report head trauma early on because they'd loose their job as soldiers.  Then, as they serve, it gets worse.  When they finally do TRY to get help, they are turned away because the military says, (paraphrasing), "You didn't report this early enough so we don't find a HISTORY of it.  We can't help you".

It's just unbelievable some of what they experience.

Veterans should be remembered every day and not just one day of the year (that's true for other things too).  But I guess we all will just have to put all of our 'remembrances' in our hearts and pull them out when we need comfort.

I think, unfortunately, I see where the "OLD" not just Veterans but old in general, are being pushed aside more often than not.

There was a time when OLD AGE really meant something.  It meant to honor our elderly.

It's not like I'm 'feeble' or gray-haired (you get what my point is), but in my world the door was held open (for females alike, but especially old) and we respect our elders.

OMG!  I had picnics out of the wazoo at my house every single holiday because my late husband loved them and because my Mother was in her glory.  She was the 'honored guest'.  All of the children would listen to Grandma (she didn't act like one but she was).  As my mother got older, she'd be sitting off to the side and slip into a light sleep.

Suddenly, one of us would come over and softly say something to her.  She'd open her eyes and never miss and beat and would answer us.  She'd say, "I'm just resting my eyes".  

Those and the many we have of our Veterans, our family (the young and old) that died, those are the one's we take out every now and then from our hearts, cry and smile (feel the sweet comfort) and put them back for another time when we need to remember.

How lucky are we all that we can remember?  It's GOD's grace (I believe) that if we live long enough, we are able to overcome the bad memories and only hold onto the good ones.

Honored Contributor

Apparently @Malcontent.  Has no opinion on what she'd like to see on QVC on Memorial Day as she hasn't responded.  Typical of a malcontent.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment