Super Contributor

This special day is set aside to honor the service personel who passed away protecting human rights and country.I am always very moved  seeing the boyscouts in our small country town placing small flags on the graves of the fallen.I watched  today . The flags fluttering in the wind. Two of my uncles  resting places  are among those with a flag.Many flags are scattered throught the resting place. So many sacrifices...

Our town ,like many have a monument with the local names upon it.Although I was born after the passing of them,I am very proud ... It is a day of sadness matched with glory and 

hope.Hope that I would have that same courage,perhaps it is passed to  me....

When you see those final resting places adorned with little flags  as you are driving ,or see those monuments with plaques,remember those that didn't return home.Remember that they were loved then and loved still.They gave us security to be free..

There are lots of things in this world that still aren't perfect,but there are many, many things that are ..These military persons are a repersentation of how important our freedoms are.They are worth everything....

God bless the families and loved ones who still grieve..

God bless America..Still..

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I personally had 4 uncles who served in world war two, actually one died on d-day and I never got to meet him of course.  Our local town also has a monument with thosenames who made the ultimate sacrifice.  Our local VFW hosts a memorial service to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice and for those currently serving.  I always went with my father who had served in the Marine Corp for 13 years.  This year will be bittersweet because he passed due to Parkinsons and ultimately pneumonia.  We should all take a moment to reflect on those who serve!  All GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

God bless them for their sacrifice for this country. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸❤️

Trusted Contributor

I come from a family with a long history of military service. My dad and all five of his brothers, four of my nephews, my FIL, my BIL. I have nothing but the utmost respect for people who serve, and their families. Especially those who make a career of the military. Right now my nephew is assigned to the USS Abraham Lincoln. They have been deployed to the Persian Gulf, along with their battle fleet(prayers please). Hopefully, nothing will erupt in Iran. My dad is buried in the Cemetery of the Alleghenies, the military cemetery in the Pittsburgh area. Two of my uncles are buried in Arlington. This weekend is the perfect time to reflect and thank those who have served, and are currently serving, in order for the rest of us to enjoy the lives we have.

Honored Contributor

My son lost 13 friends in Iraq and Afghanistan. The young man sitting next to him.  The bunkmate.  His workout buddy.  His best friend. More friends.  My son has been deployed 4 times and I think the hardest on him was when he lost one of his own soldiers.  He takes his role very seriously, particularly the safety of his soldiers.  It's so sad to see all the young people die or who are maimed physically and phychologically from unnecessary wars.  

Honored Contributor

http://www.pahousegop.com/Display/SiteFiles/139/Images/EmailPhotos/MemorialDay_FB2%20(5).jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Memorial Day...

[ Edited ]

I am so thankful for all the freedoms I enjoy today and everyday, and pay honor to the men and woman who so bravely payed the ultimate sacrice for our wonderful USA !!!!

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

in flanders fields.jpg

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.
  If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
      In Flanders fields.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein