Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare supplement - YAY OR NAY ?

Go with a Medicare Advantage Plan. The cost per month runs from 0 to $109. They cover everything that Medicare cipovers plus medications and hospital costs. Your out of pocket is MUCH less than plain Meducare. And example of an Advantage plan is AVMED. Give them a call. You might be suprised that you can be completelely covered for no more than what you pay now.

Occasional Contributor

Once a person is over 50, start assuming the worst will happen, just a matter of time....heart disease, cancer, stroke, dementia, or even just a joint replacement with the need for rehab post-op.....and so much of medical treatment is out-patient now and will not be covered fully by Medicare. A supplement, like AARP, is essential or you will be paying the remaining 20% of all bills.  Can you afford that?  

Honored Contributor

If you can afford it I say YAY. 

What drives me crazy is when Medicare does not pay for a procedure, your secondary will not either.  Recently I had a procedure that had my secondary been my primary, it would have been covered.

Respected Contributor

DH & I will both turn 65 in 2019 and we'll be going on Medicare since he's retired and our current health care will become our supplemental policy.  We have been very healthy our whole lives but that could change in a heartbeat.  When my brother had his knee replaced, he was on Medicare and he told me between Medicare and his supplement insurance he didn't pay a dime.  He has BC/BS as his supplement.  I do know people though that have taken out Medicare and don't get a supplemental policy, they don't want to spend the money on the premiums.  I keep hearing about the penalty if you don't sign up at 65, so we will.  I also know people who are still working full time and I think if you're still working full time and have health benefits from your employer, you don't get penalized for not signing up for Medicare.  I have a friend who's 75 and still working full time and has health benefits from the company he works for.  He told me he's going to work until he dies.  I guess that's one way of getting around Medicare!

Esteemed Contributor

United Healthcare is excellent. You need a secondary payor source, because just Medicare isn't enough. Traditional Medicare is best, managed plans no so much. 

Esteemed Contributor

How awful for you and your husband to have been denied your pensions, the court was totally wrong to allow that request from the new owner.  I am so sorry you are in a financial position that does not allow you to afford a supplement health plan.  It is a sad situation to be in the financial position you find yourself in and pray you stay in good health...without a supplement you can end up losing your house.  When I broke my hip two years ago, between the surgery, hospital, one month in rehab and six months of home physical therapy it was hundreds of thousands of dollars for which I paid nothing.  Without my supplement I would be living in a shelter.   I am on a fixed income and have to budget but would never be without my supplement.  I wish the best for you. Heart

@kitcat51 wrote:

I do not have supplement coverage, simply cannot afford it & cutting corners will not provide enough money to pay for it either. We lost our pensions when the company we worked for went bankrupt, another company purchased it but asked the court to relieve them of the responsibility of the pensions, that request was granted & everything we worked for was gone in an instant with nothing to be done about it. The loss was a huge kick in the pants & to also be told that you're irresponsible for not having the additional Medicare coverage is a slap in the face. For those who can afford it, that's wonderful but don't judge those who can't, you don't know their story. I'm struggling, I have a home that I really can't afford to keep because of high property taxes & can't afford to sell because of needed repairs & rentals that are double to triple my mortgage payment. Sadly, when my husband died he felt like a failure, he took the loss hard. My heart goes out to all who have lost their pensions & the dream of what their retirement would be. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

IMO a Medicare supplement is mandatory unless you have the funds to pay the Hospital and Part B deductible every calendar year  plus 20% of every single thing paid, and all non-covered items. That would not be me, most certainly. 

dee

Trusted Contributor

Why some people pay the auto and homeowners and even life insurance statements without blinking, but balk at a Medicare supplement has me scratching my head. Without your health you have nothing, and, yes, one incident can bankrupt you.

dee

Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma,

I'm so sorry for your situation. Please do not be offended, but if you meet the criteria you could apply for Medicaid as a supplement. If it goes through, the deductibles & coinsurance amounts are covered. Non covered services must have a signed waiver by the patient before they are performed or the provider has to eat it. Medicaid as a Medicare supplement was created for those people in your situations, @Lindsays Grandma.

You may have a "spend down" where you are responsible for part of the costs if you are in the middle ground financially speaking. Start now to keep meticulous record of your every expense with all receipts (medical, food, Rx, housing, property tax, utilities, auto & home insurance expense, etc) for when you are assigned a caseworker. You can start off with just using a manila envelope labeled by month to show the caseworker. Unfortunately, these are government entities so lots of forms, but consider asking for the name of an agency that will help you compile your records.

I only wish you the best, but I wish I could sit with you, to have a cup of tea and help get you through this process. Keep your head tall and your spirits up, and remember, you and your DH contributed faithfully to society for your entire lives and if you need a bit of help, there's no shame in asking for it.

My pension was decimated 5 years ago. It's now 2% of annual wage put into a self-sponsored (lame) fund (basically nothing). Actually, I am not planning on retiring anyway. Going out in a body bag I tell my co-workers.

dee

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Unless the person is a multi-millionaire, they will bankrupt themselves not having a supplement. If you don't have a supplement, you are responsible for paying 20% of all bills. Think of one hospitalization and what it would cost. One MRI scan. People think they don't need it because "I'm never sick." Well, doo-doo happens. Anyone 65 or older is, by the odds, going to be having more and more issues.

The problem with waiting "until I need it", i.e. when you are hospitalized, is - too late for those expenses for starters, and there are various penalties imposed for not signing up when you're first eligible. 

Absolutely -  I battled cancer in 2011 with pretty good insurance (not old enough for Medicare) and I too had to pay 20%. Once I paid $5000 worth of copays/deductibles then care was free - but ONLY for the remainder of the calendar year.

My treatment crossed into 2012 and the clock starts over and treatment itself was over in March but then the after care stuff started. The med I take to prevent a recurrence was $350/month prior to a generic.  The med causes bone loss so I was put on Prolia shots - I need 2 a year and the first 2 were $300 each until the mfr began offering copay assistance so now I pay $25 or $30 and they pay the rest up to a particular threshold. 

I figure my total cancer treatment out of pocket (not counting the after care meds/shots I now take) was $7500-$8000 and again, this was my 20% share and all of this was outpatient so even if I'd had Medicare it'd still be just as expensive and paying into Medicare Parts B and D and having no supplemental.