Respected Contributor

Medicare supplement - YAY OR NAY ?

[ Edited ]

My family member  is on Medicare but has never invested in a ''supplement'' , saying they couldn't afford it.  I'm of the opinion that it's pretty much necessary.  What do you think. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare supplement - YAY OR NAY ?

If you can afford it, fine.  If you cannot, others opinions are not relevant.  It is a personal decision based on individuals circumstances.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

True others opinions are not relevant but may be useful in making a decision.  If you only have part A that will only cover hospital.  If you have A and B and a drug plan, I think you are mostly safe.

Honored Contributor

I have a great supplemental plan through United Healthcare (which I got from a recommend from AARP).

Without it, I'd be up s**t creek as far as my chemo treatments and everything associated with my cancer treatments.

I highly recommend United Healthcare, they have a number of different plans and the cost varies. It's worth looking into.

Respected Contributor

to : LOVEMYGRANDS:  

I pray God's peace, strength and healing be with you during this trying time.

Honored Contributor

My DH has a great plan with Med Mutual (F). It's well worth the money which I'm glad he/we are able to afford it (it's really not that much). It's the same plan I'll more than likely sign up for in February. He has a few issues, I really don't as yet. Plan F is full coverage but I may opt for something else at least for my first year. He will keep the same coverage moving into his 2nd year.

Part D for prescriptions is a must because there are penalty charges if you don't initially sign up for this one right from the get-go.

Honored Contributor

Unless the person is a multi-millionaire, they will bankrupt themselves not having a supplement. If you don't have a supplement, you are responsible for paying 20% of all bills. Think of one hospitalization and what it would cost. One MRI scan. People think they don't need it because "I'm never sick." Well, doo-doo happens. Anyone 65 or older is, by the odds, going to be having more and more issues.

The problem with waiting "until I need it", i.e. when you are hospitalized, is - too late for those expenses for starters, and there are various penalties imposed for not signing up when you're first eligible. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If you can afford it, fine.  If you cannot, others opinions are not relevant.  It is a personal decision based on individuals circumstances.

This is something that "has" to be afforded in one way or another. It's either have a supplement or be on Medicaid. One illness or injury could wipe out every cent you have, without a supplement. It's playing Russian roulette not to have it.

Some Medicare Advantage plans have no premiums.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

We are not there yet but IMO it's necessary.

You could easily end up bankrupt without it.

My in-laws cannot afford it either but they have it.

They just have to make cuts some place else.

Honored Contributor

If they can't afford a supplement - just what are they going to do if there's a serious illness?  Can they afford doctors, hospital, treatment, medication?

I'd rather be safe than sorry ... what if something happens and I have to dig into my savings to pay hospital bills?

I have a Medicare supplement ... part of my retirement benefit.  Former employer pays half the premium.   Everyone I know has a supplement.  A friend just got the AARP United Healthcare policy..