Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage Commercials

@Vivian wrote:

I detest those supplemental insurance ads. I agree that some of them border on fraud or bait-and-switch. I'll be happy when the enrollment period is over. Bad as those ads are, the political ads are worse. Talk about dishonesty! Then there are the tush ads, the deodorant-for-bottom ads, and all other manner of unwanted bodily function ads. If that's not enough, there are the medication ads. It would be nice if the drug companies spent less on commercials and devote more effort to making drugs affordable.

@Vivian 

Yes, Medicare is very confusing for some, but it doesn't mean something "borders on fraud".   

Although laws vary from state to state, the information given in ANY insurance ads you see have been approved by your states' Department of Insurance.   No exceptions.  

Consumers have to educate themselves, as Medicare coverage is different than run of the mill health insurance they might get prior to retirement.   Apples and oranges.

Honored Contributor

The H*mana TV commercials seem to be the most informative, in a forthright sort of way.  In my opinion.  

I might send for the info booklets, (just for general info) even though I'm not interested right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I only see them when I'm watching Tv in bed and they put me to sleep.  So it's a good thing.....lol

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

After several surgeries within a short time, I learned that it is all about the coding, but I also know there are setups that you have no way of knowing until after the fact.  If you are taken to the ER, I learned that ER drs are contract workers and are in no insurance networks, at least in my area.  I was left on the hook for $35k. There was no investigation or oversight or fines. No response to appeals other than "denied". Insurance industry seems to work hard at taking your money and working hard to keep it instead of paying claims. 

Trusted Contributor

A Medicare advantage plan might work for some people. I would at least look at them before dismissing them. I would never call any of the phone numbers on those awful commercials. They are scams, and all the "free" coverage and even cash you can get depends on your zip code and is just a hook to get you to call. Then a salesperson takes over and it is off to the races...

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely sick of these commmercials!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ya know, there are NO commercials (no competition, very few companies) that provide private health insurance for the rest of us who are not yet 65, but don't work for an employer who provides health insurance-  SO ridiculous. The prices are like $800/ month or more for these polices, with a huge deductible. 😩😩😩 

So maybe the competitive Medicare policy commercials aren't so bad...

Trusted Contributor

If only the Medicare commercials on TV were all it is... it is also constant telemarketing and junkmail. I even get the Medicare junkmail addressed to my brother who has lived in another state for 20 years.

Super Contributor

Insurance companies are for profit. They DO deny claims. They can do so for reasons that the average customer does not know about....namely diagnostic codes, provider status, delay errors etc. Example: I was admitted to hospital & provided all insurance info. Several different billing services (one for ER, one for hospital, one for anesthesiologist etc). One billing group billed the wrong place. They billed my employer (another hospital) not my insurance. Employer was slow in responding to them and the biller finally contacted me after one year and I pointed out their error and they billed the correct place...insurance refused to pay because the bill wasn't presented timely. Biller contacted me and said I had to pay. I said no because it was biller error. I said I'd pay co-pay just like I had for the other 4-5 billers. They said I was responsible for their error. They were provided all information at admission. They reported me to the credit agencies. Grrrrrr........