Honored Contributor

Re: Medic alert type buttons

[ Edited ]

@Hazelfaye 

Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.  Many of us are thinking of you with good wishes.

My Father is 95, 96 next month.  

He is very computer savvy, just had a collection of poems he wrote, typed, and edited published.  He is now writing his memoirs.  However, he struggles with his vision, which is pretty poor.

He has used Life Alert successfully for several years.  He has fall alert, and a daily wellness check, and a button he can push to call for help.  It is also possible to set up medication reminders.  The call monitors are always very polite, and helpful.  

In the future, I hope you will also also consider the excellent advice about contacting your church, and the department on aging for options

Truly, I believe that keeping engaged with others has helped my Father very much.  While this may not be an idea right now, I hope you will keep it in mind in the future, please keep in touch with us.

Best Wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

71D1812F-CF2F-4FBC-8E9C-9B2BC2355814.jpegYou can use it as your phone. 

Respected Contributor

First:   I love my Apple Watch and use it daily to monitor the outdoor temperature, my oxygen sat and my pulse rate.   My medical issues are a big reason I got the watch.  Second: @Kachina624 and @Drythe are also correct that it isn't always easy to see the icons and information.  Yes you have to have some tech skills and use an iPhone to set it up (you can use someone else's phone if you don't have one but not sure that works very well).  I know that my older sisters couldn't set up or use the watch based on their own admissions (they don't see how I "do it") and use of technology.  One of them fell stepping off her deck taking the dogs out to potty at night and broke both her ankles.  Her husband and son were in their bedrooms upstairs and she laid outside for over 30 minutes trying to drag herself back inside.  She is 84.  Finally got husband's attention laying in the kitchen floor screaming.  She has decided to wear her cell phone on a lanyard to call for help (literally).

I think @Hazelfaye should check out the medic alert options to see what works in her particular situation since that seems to be her first reaction to her need.  But, I think an Apple Watch is a good option for some of us.  I triggered the fall alert one time my self and had to let it (the watch) know I was ok and don't call for help.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your prayers and expressions of sympathy, after 59 yrs of marriage I am just feeling very lost.

I told my son about using the Apple Watch, he has one and showed it to me, unfortunately I can't see the icons well at all, so I will have to look for another option, the life alert brand button would be the answer but looks like it will be too expensive, about $50.00 a month, there are other companies that have the button and are quite a bit cheaper,  but need and want a reliable one. Just don't know which is the most reliable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. @Hazelfaye @The newest Apple Watch has a bigger screen than previous versions. You would only need to use the call for help and answer the phone faces. Can you see the green phone icon? You just press it to talk if it is ringing. This is very close to actual size for the newest Watch. Typing is not easy on it though. 

3171B969-C357-4397-BE89-21DF1725453E.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

APPLE WATCH WITH FALL DETECTION STARTS AT $279. This one does not have the very durable screen. If you don't want to pair the watch with an Apple Phone, then you buy the watch with CELLULAR. The watch will function as both a watch and phone if you do that. You won't need a separate phone. B8C0E200-9593-4E55-93E1-620B9162A85D.png

Thank you for making the information clear. You do need an iPhone to buy a Apple watch, but you do need a cellular plan. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Hazelfaye wrote:

Thank you all for your prayers and expressions of sympathy, after 59 yrs of marriage I am just feeling very lost.

I told my son about using the Apple Watch, he has one and showed it to me, unfortunately I can't see the icons well at all, so I will have to look for another option, the life alert brand button would be the answer but looks like it will be too expensive, about $50.00 a month, there are other companies that have the button and are quite a bit cheaper,  but need and want a reliable one. Just don't know which is the most reliable.

@Hazelfaye

Please ask your son to help you research a device.

Sometimes Amazon will have a sale on an watch.