Honored Contributor

Re: May Flowers (2017) at the Bird's Nest

Image result for brown thrasher

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@possummink  I wish I would have catbirds around here.  I like to listen to different bird songs.

About the peanuts - you are not kidding.  I usually put out a variety type seed and lately I've been adding sunflower hearts (try to get them on sale) just as an effort to reduce the mess on the patio.  One day I threw out some low salt planters peanuts (I stock up on sales there too); my squirrels are too spoiled to shell an actual nut - I've tried.

Low and behold some pigeons came by to have a snack.  I figured they'd go after the sunflower hearts and the seed.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw a pigeon gulp one peanut after another.  All I kept thinking is that bird's crop is going to explode!

We didn't get much rain however it's been cold enough for me to wear a winter coat.

Having just experienced my first bout of strep throat in my lifetime (hope it never happens again), I had no issues with putting on a coat and gloves Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@possummink

so glad you liked the pics.  I hope that you are right about the Piebald staying on our property to remain safe especially during hunting season.  Each property owner around us pwns about 12 to 13 acres as we also have.  One neighbor has a lot more property and she has a son that hunts her property and is friendly with one of our neighbors so I am hoping that he does not get the Piebald this Fall. 

Glad to hear that you are getting the banana plants taken care of.  Please be careful with your back though.  Take it all nice and slow!  Hoping that you are feeling a lot better!

Thanks for the beautiful pics that you post. 

How nice that you are able to see one of your favorites ....chimney sweeps.....while you are home.  They are beautiful!  Enjoy them!

How is your daughter doing with her Crohns?  I am currently in a flare-up but will be seeing my Gastro doctor next week so the timing is good.  Back to eating fish again.  It is the only thing that I can eat during my lengthy flare-ups. 

Have a great rest of the day!!!

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

The blue footed booby often looks goofy in pictures.

Image result for blue footed booby diving

I came across some pictures of the blue footed booby diving for food.  Quite an elegant bird after all :-)

@Bird mama

Wow....sure would like to see these in person.  They are so unique! 

So glad to hear that you are over with the Strep throat.  I always got Strep and still do but not as often lately.  It definitely knocks you for a loop!  Take care of yourself!  How is Poppi doing?

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone,

I put out the hummingbird feeder on Monday afternoon thinking that it was a bit too early and yesterday we had a male show up.  First thing this morning he was at the feeder.  So the hummers are back!  Next year I will have to put the feeder out even earlier.  it is cold and rainy here and I never would have expected to see them so soon.

Waving hi to all the birders!!!  Have a great rest of the day!

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs

Poppi is fine.  He started getting vocal and dramatic the past couple of years.  I figure, at his age, he's entitled :-)

Honored Contributor

One of the Barred Owl owlets has found the 'door' to their home.  Hoping she/he doesn't fall out   Seems kind of soon for that baby to be so adventurous. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@possummink wrote:

One of the Barred Owl owlets has found the 'door' to their home.  Hoping she/he doesn't fall out   Seems kind of soon for that baby to be so adventurous.

@possummink  I agree that it seems kind of young to be doing that but have to admit that the pic is adorable!

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

Glad to hear that Poppi is fine!  It sounds like Poppi is happy with his mama and his home!  Yes, at his age he is definitely entitled!

Update:  We have 2 male and 2 female hummers at the feeder.  They are the same ones as last year.  We can tell but their size and markings.  This means that the males have been here about a week because they scout the area for the females to build their nests a week before the females arrive.  I do not know how the poor little things survive the weather here.  Tonight we are to have a frost and it is to be very cold.  I sure do wish that I could give them little hats and coats to keep them warm!

Have a great night all!!! 

Honored Contributor

Hello all, it's back to clouds and rain in my neck of the woods.  My grass is growing like gangbusters.

I came across the Gray Partridge.  Apparently human beings eat this bird.  I don't understand it, but there are lots of things I don't understand Woman Frustrated

Image result for gray partridge

"Gimme some sugar"