Honored Contributor

Re: May 2017 Back Fence - Come on by everyone!!!

It's warming up here, little by little.  I slept pretty good last night however I could have used a couple more hours :-)

I received an urgent call from middle sister yesterday around 4:30 pm.  I knew something was wrong because she never calls me that early.  On her way home from her job (roughly 25 miles from where I work), she was at a stoplight and when the light turned green, she stepped on the gas, heard and felt a large clunk and the car wouldn't move forward.

I lucked out as I had started work earlier so I was legal to leave.  I also lucked out because we didn't have a Tigers afternoon game today, which makes the commute out of downtown Detroit a real pain in the rump.

I called my auto club, arranged for a tow truck and managed to get where sister was in a pretty good timeframe all things considered. 

I needed to lay eyes on her to make sure she was okay.  The car is metal and can be replaced or repaired - I could work the problem with that once I knew she was okay.

Tow truck dropped the car off at the dealer (who closed at 6pm).  We left a note and the key in the dealer drop box (sister had called ahead and arranged it).  Then we drove to my house so she could take my Nissan for the rest of the week.

You know, every time I think I'm going to sell that old 99 Camaro, something like this happens and makes me grateful I have a second car.

Her left axle broke and she was lucky she was an idle speed when it happened.  If she had been on one of the local fast surface streets or expressway, she could have lost control of the car.  Praise God.

The mechanic said the right axle is showing wear and said she could use a brake job.  He can't get the right axle until Monday.  I told her, keep my car, I have wheels to get me where I need to go.  You are not driving that car off the lot until you have new axles and the brake job.

I will be buying her a membership to the auto club/roadside assistance program (National GM Motor Club) before the weekend is out.

I'm getting too old for this, rofl. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hello all - warming up, overcast and a little rain here and there at my area of the Back Fence.

I slept like I was in a coma last night, must have been tired from the excitement the night before.

We're going to replace both axles on sister's car as the right one is showing wear and we're going to avoid another oopsie :-)  Dealership has the left axle in house, has to order the right axle, so she should have her car on Monday or Tuesday.

Trusted Contributor

Lo and behold, the sun is shining.  Hope it warms up a tad.   Although I hate to mention it, I remember a Memorial Day taking a picture of snow on my spring flowers.  Spring in Indiana.  We used to go to the 500 each year but I'm glad those days are over.  Traffic is worse now than it was then and that was bumper to bumper.   Not many of those great drivers are still racing.  Some of their off spring are.  

Just had a call from the dermatologists office. The two biopsies Merle had done are both cancerous so more Mog surgery is scheduled for the 25th.  He's not going to be happy but it must be done. Waiting to hear back if they can do both the same day.  In afraid the one might take more time.  Poor guy. The caller. Wanted to set up a phone consultation to discuss the procedure.  It was evident no one had given her his chart.  This procedure is quite well know. To us unfortunately.   Protect your skin everyone although a lot of his goes back to his farm years.  

Freddie, I hope things so smoothly for Dave's removal.  I hope someone will help shelter the little ones til other arrangements can be made.   Thinking of you. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I really need to stop sleeping all knotted up like a pretzel.  My Ma used to nag me about that all of the time when I was younger.  Last night I was in the usual pretzel position when I got a coughing jag (currently fighting a cold) and it felt like I tore/strained something under my right back shoulder blade, wrapped around my rib cage.

Suffice it to say, it's getting better as the day goes on however I still can't take a deep breath without wincing.

Honestly - I'm a danger to myself, lol.

Honored Contributor

Hey people, where is everybody, lol.

My sister picked her car up yesterday - new left and right axle, new brakes and rotors.  I enrolled her in the same auto club I have (National GM Auto Club - love them) and she has her temporary membership card.

Now, I have peace of mind.  

I just cut the grass in the front yard and am having some water and catching my breath.  The cold is hanging on, but not getting worse.  The pulled muscle is improving little by little.  I need to weed whack the grass along the fence in the back yard then I will cut the grass.

It didn't grow that much however with tomorrow being Mother's Day, I know my neighbors will have company and I'd like the yard to at least look tidy.  

Honored Contributor

Image result for happy mother's day

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Mothe s Day.  

Its 80 degrees to day.  Bernie, your ssteer is a very lucky sister. How very kind of you and I know you feel relief that she is safe.  

We went to church and then met up with the in town family for brunch.  .  Yesterday we went to Ohio to watch  the  twins play soccer.    Now we are just vegging out.   

Hope everyone has a lovely day.   

Respected Contributor

Hello one and all - any food here? Just kidding THIS TIME as I am really full and also really tired. Sounds like you had a good day Betty - that is great and I agree Bernie was more than kind to her sister - how nice Bernie!!

Couple nice unexpected things occurred. Nice young man who was friends with Tessa and attended about 5 years of mental health counseling at the same time called. He was upset to hear of Tessa's recent problems. And then three young men and their Mom called from Idaho. They use to live up the street - few houses down - and Tessa spent a lot of time there and Rocky and the boys included her in many many things and Tessa always thought of them as family. Lot of funny stories connected with that group. They too were more than disappointed and upset over Tessa's problems. And then at church the young Marine who I just adore, well his Mother brought me a gorgeous long stem red rose - from the Marine who is in Okinawa. I always ask about him and I started paying attention to him a few years back. He was just getting out of school but I just kept looking at him and talking with him. ALWAYS wore a white T-Shirt - IRONED and his short pants were ALWAYS ironed also. He is Native American and had that LONG braid way down. Such a handsome young man. Long story short we always spoke and chatted and I just kept thinking what a neat young person he was. His braid was cut - by his brother - and that brother did a magnificent job. I think that had something to do with their culture - I mean perhaps a relative doing that. He was baptized right before he was sworn in. I still think he is one in a million. He is a sign of our military today - religious, super nice, loves what he is doing and to top it off - handsome. I was so flattered that a 20 year old would ask his Mom to remember me this day with a Rose. WOW!!!

Took the little one - Leah - to Urgent Care this afternoon. She is running a fever off and on and obviously does not feel the best but what an angel. However, she is still awake. Hmn, that is not smart. I am ready to crash I need to go over and encourage her to do the same.

Have a good day tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I thought about bringing a cake for mother's day then forgot about it.  I had pizza yesterday - not a traditional Mother's Day meal.

Something came over me yesterday that made me look at my pots and pans.  Talk about a mismatched collection of cookware.  Some of it was banged up and I have no idea how I accumulated lids that went with nothing.

JCP was having a 30% off sale and ebates was offering 15% back at JCP, so I went online and ordered a Farberware set of pots and pans that were on sale.  I needed mostly pots and ended up getting a 12 piece set for $55.

I also ordered a nice zip up long sleeve (not heavy material) robe that was on clearance.  You never know if you will land up in the hospital (ha ha) so I thought it was a good idea to update my robe.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie, I like the idea of junk food for Mother's Day.   It was a beautiful weekend here with lots of sunshine.  Today was warmer and 85 degrees supposed to hit by end of week.   I guess we're going to jump right into summer.    The petals are almost all gone from my dogwoods  

Did anyone get caught in the Microsoft hacking.  What a ness especially when it comes to risking lives by cancelling surgeries.  I try always to have a paper back up of events

just in case.

Your pan set sounds nice, Bernie.  I never have a kid for my small skillet.  My Pandora are really old too but I rarely use but about two pans 

now we are going to get bombarded for Father's Day.