Honored Contributor

Re: Matt Lauerer looks disheveled

@Perkup wrote:

I am neither accusing or defending. But do any of us actually know what Matt Lauer is supposed to have done?  All I have heard is what is on tv, which is nothing specific. Just that he's out.

I have reached a sort of notion of my own about these many  allegations. Not just this one. I think that if something happens it should be reported right away - not 5, 10, 20 or more years later.  If it was bad enough to be true harrassment, it should be reported within a year, or not at all.Keeps these fame seekers (and many of them are nothing more) from jumpiing on the band wagon years later. At least that's getting to be my opinion. Perhaps no one agrees with me, but that's ok.  We're all entitled to our own opinions. 

I am thinking that also.  Plus, when everyone in the office knows about it, jokes about it, even has roasts and publicly jokes about it, and NOTHING is done, I think there is a work atmosphere where there are a LOT of people and their actions that need to be called into question.

If you know someone is robbing banks, talk about it in the office, do nothing about it, then isn't there a lot more guilt to go around?  That's what I don't get about this whole deal.  People are being judgmental and pointing fingers, but none of them did one thing and they knew about it.  They ALL allowed it to continue. So how exacatly is this supposed to change anything?

Super Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I am neither accusing or defending. But do any of us actually know what Matt Lauer is supposed to have done?  All I have heard is what is on tv, which is nothing specific. Just that he's out.

I have reached a sort of notion of my own about these many  allegations. Not just this one. I think that if something happens it should be reported right away - not 5, 10, 20 or more years later.  If it was bad enough to be true harrassment, it should be reported within a year, or not at all.Keeps these fame seekers (and many of them are nothing more) from jumpiing on the band wagon years later. At least that's getting to be my opinion. Perhaps no one agrees with me, but that's ok.  We're all entitled to our own opinions. 

@Perkup Just google his name. He did a lot with many women over many years.  I was shocked that NBC allowed him to do this on their premises. He just got caught when he sent a photo to an intern. That was proof positive.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark  I don't see the slightest comparison between the two.  Curry could go with her head held high.  She lost a job because her skills were not appropriate for that particular job  -  after years and years of being a TODAY fan, when Curry was on, I often watched elsewhere.  But Lauer -  he lost because he crossed moral boundaries -  way different "sins."  His recovery, if he can even do it, will be long and arduous.

By the way -  Curry was featured in a recent Parade article -  she's starting a new PBS series in January.  I didn't save the details just because she makes me nervous, but the pictures of Curry were lovely.  She's 61 -  and looks younger than when she was on NBC.  I hope her fans support her.

Honored Contributor

Let me throw out this question:  IF a woman wears very revealing and provocative clothing to the office, could a male who worked for her say he was being sexually harassed?

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@Perkup. When the perpetrator ADMITS the allegations as Matt Lauer did, all bets on the timeline are off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Sooner, now that is good question!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Let me throw out this question:  IF a woman wears very revealing and provocative clothing to the office, could a male who worked for her say he was being sexually harassed?

I presume the woman in question is his boss. Only if her ACTIONS are construed as sexual harrasment could she be accused of sexual harrasment. Wearing an outfit is not harrasment. But can women be sexual harassers ? Absolutely. Ive witnessed it myself. But your premise as described above is not sexual harrasment.

common sense seems to be an endangered species. If someone speaks up and says "that makes me uncomfortable", if the perpetrator does it again it becomes harrasment. We are all guilty of saying or doing something that is inappropriate. We are human, but if a pattern emerges and someone continues to say lewd jokes I feel it is harrasment.

Occasional Contributor

Supposedly he had a button in his desk that would lock the door of his office - huh?  To me, this is way over the top behavior.  Lauer will land on his feet sometime in the future.  If not, well, he is worth millions and does not have to worry financially.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I read something the other day and tried to post it, but they deemed it political and took it down

The article stated the results of a poll ,and  what was considered  sexual harassment. It made my head spin. Everyone saw it differently, and it wasn't divided by gender. Some women thought dirty jokes were OK. Some people thought hugs were fine and  touching also.

They have to try to find some common ground guide lines which everyone must follow, if they are ever going to have a uniform code of conduct ,for work

Respected Contributor

My only problem with the women not reporting right away .. is it

allowed innocent others coming up behind them to be victimized..