Respected Contributor

Re: Matt Lauerer looks disheveled

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@sarnrse................I respectfully disagree, I dont think Matt will ever recover, (example Tiger Woods).  He will loose so much money with lawyers and alimony, with no income.  He will probably not be out on the street.  But he will never recover fully, both financially nor mentally.

The man is supposedly worth $60 million dollars, plus received a $19 million dollar severance from NBC. I'm sorry, but how can one be destitute with that kind of nets egg? He owns a Hamptons estate and property in Australia.

and you know he will bounce back somewhere in about 5 years. Never in a high profile position as The Today Show but some cable news network will pick him up.

Esteemed Contributor

Matt Lauer is 60. In addition to what he did to ruin is career, his age is working against him. There are plenty of young, attractive, competent, and decent people out there who can do what Matt did on TV, for a lot less money. In my opinion, he is history.

Respected Contributor

VIvian I agree. The man is bald and aging, At 60 he may be past his prime but I still think he will land on one of the cable news networks. Or write the obligatory book. He is not destitute and even with legal battles and lawyers, his family is settled for generations.

Valued Contributor

I read a news article just after he got fired that said he was not going to try to get work again.  I suppose he could change his mind, but why would he if he has so much money?  Time will tell, I guess.  I don't like this mindset that people can never have a second chance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have never been a fan of Lauer; I do have sympathy for his wife and kids; they don't deserve this. I didn't like Lauer's extreme liberal bias on every interview he did; he bullied the guest unless they agreed with him.   He will find another job or write a salacious book and make millions; no worries.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarnrse wrote:

Supposedly he had a button in his desk that would lock the door of his office - huh?  To me, this is way over the top behavior.  Lauer will land on his feet sometime in the future.  If not, well, he is worth millions and does not have to worry financially.

It's not over the top because it's not at all unusual.

I have years of experience working for major TV networks in NYC, and those buttons are very common.  Lots of meetings in the entertainment industry are top-secret with millions of dollars at stake.  It's meant to be a convenience when negotiating, etc.  

Whatever Matt Lauer did or didn't do, having that button is not - in itself - incriminating.

Super Contributor

People don’t know what sexual harassment is. 

There are two kinds.

Quid pro quo, where you are asked to provide something in return for keeping your job, or for a “perk.”

Hostile work environment, where you are subject to sexual remarks, pressure, innuendo that is pervasive. One time is not sufficient.

These individuals who have resigned or been let go have been investigated by their organizations and enough evidence has been found to warrant the result.

As far as why haven’t the women come forward before this: BECAUSE NO ONE TOOK THEM SERIOUSLY BEFORE THIS.My goodness look how long Harvey Weinstein and Matt Lauer got away with it.

Look how long pedophile priests got away with it. Why didn’t children come forward? No one believed them.  

Respected Contributor

I feel very bad for his wife and family but zero sympathy for him. And also you are telling me NBC knew nothing about this....shame on them. They are enablers in this whole situation acting like they just found out. They did not want to disturb their ratings and sponsers. Disgusting.