Honored Contributor

Massive Difference Walmart Grocery and Walmart Dot Com!!!!

[ Edited ]

I was trying to get some items delivered.  From experience, I knew if you hit $35.00 you got Free SH.  My order was large and way over $35.00, yet I was looking at almost $10.00 SH!!!

Here's the deal.  If you go through "grocery", you can order more recipe recomended sizes.  Grocery charges SH.

"Dot com" gives large containers or multiples and free SH above $35.00!

Respected Contributor

Re: Massive Walmart Grocery and Walmart Dot Com!!!!

@ECBG wrote:

I was trying to get some items delivered.  From experience, I knew if you hit $35.00 you got Free SH.  My orser was large and way over n$35.00, yet I was looking at almost $10.00 SH!!!

Here's the deal.  If you go through "grocery", you can order more recipe recomended sizes.  Grocery charges SH.

I've ordered a ton of stuff from WM dot com in the last few months and did not have to order larger sizes. Some things are sold in multiples but almost everything I ordered has been regular sized items. I gues it just depends on what you are lookng for.

Honored Contributor

Re: Massive Walmart Grocery and Walmart Dot Com!!!!

@froggy Walmart .com gives larger sizes or multiples to discourage your ordering with free SH I assume.

Respected Contributor

Re: Massive Difference Walmart Grocery and Walmart Dot Com!!!!

[ Edited ]

@ECBG   I started ordering via their dot come about a year ago and some items are larger or multiple, instead of the regular "store delivery" shopping.  

It has worked well for me since I order things not carried locally in any store, including the WM brick and mortar local stores.  (Tarragon vinegar is one example.)  I order all my huge bags of dried and canned food for the outdoor cats we watch over.  Much easier and less expensive than my local DC Harris Teeter that doesn't carry large bags of cat food.

@froggy. I've yet to pay any shipping--easy to reach $35 minimum to get it without charge.

And, unlike Amazon, they take PayPal which is my preferred payment method.  Of course, right now, no Rakuten % cash back, probably because of pandemic high demand.  

Honored Contributor

Walmart typically charges a grocery delivery fee of $7.95 to $9.95 per order. Its Delivery Unlimited, allows customers to avoid the per-order fee and instead pay a flat charge of $12.95 monthly or $98 annually.

I pay $7.95 delivery from a local grocery store.  It used to be based on how much was spent.  One time in the past, I paid $12.95.  Their annual fee for unlimited 12 month delivery is $98.  

Walmart, at one time was $50, had to become competitive with Amazon, the reason for free shipping at $35; however, Amazon's, I think, is $25. Someone correct me if wrong about the $25.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I think you missed my point about groceries  when ordering between the two sites. 

Either you order large amounts OR pay shipping. 

BEWARE!!!

Honored Contributor

Another difference is that orders don't ship together usually since they are coming from all over instead of a Walmart warehouse.  I like getting larger sizes of things I regularly use that I cannot get locally.  Another difference is that orders never come at the same time in one shipment so harder to keep track of and in the past have been notified that a refund was being given for many items that just never shipped and told to reorder if I still wanted them.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I was trying to get some items delivered.  From experience, I knew if you hit $35.00 you got Free SH.  My order was large and way over $35.00, yet I was looking at almost $10.00 SH!!!

I'm retired and on a fixed income. As much as I don't like WalMart, I've had to start shopping there due to the increase in prices. I pay $12.99 a month and get free deliveries from WalMart...as many as I want.  Minimum order $30. It doesn't take much to save $25-$30 a month compared to my favorite grocery store so paying that monthly fee still ends up getting me ahead.  

My favorite grocery store chain offered free delivery for the first 2 months of the pandemic shutdown and I really appreciated that.  I still order produce and most meat online from them because of the distinct difference in quality.  I can drive up to pick up those orders.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG, Interesting. Here it is not an option to ship from the regular Walmart grocery. It is like any other grocery store. You either do a free pick up when your order is ready or you pay to have it delivered to your home.

I have been able to get regular sizes from Walmart.com Things that I could not get anywhere like toilet tissue, I was able to get from there. They delivered toilet tissue, cat supplies and paper towels from 3 different states. The shipping was free with $35. order.

Honored Contributor

I pay only $9.99 a month for free delivery on Instacart. For paper items and some staples that are not always available at markets, I use Amazon or Amazon Fresh.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland