Trusted Contributor

Martha Stewart went to prison for inside trading (based on selling stock on information furnished to her by her broker). Wasn't there recently a golfer (Phil M.) arrested for the same (inside trading) and he walked away with no sentencing?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart

[ Edited ]

@Sheila P-Burg    I heard about Phil Mickelson.I don't know the details. However,in the case of Martha Stewart she didn't go to jail for the insider trading. She actually went to jail for lying to the Federal investigators when they brought her in for questioning.If she had told them the truth they would not of charged her. She wasn't who they were after.They wanted the person who gave her the tips.Lying to the Feds is like lying under oath.

Trusted Contributor

Martha and her broker (Peter) were both  charged with selling stock, conspiracy and obstruction. I think they both received the same sentencing where he was fined $4,000 and she was fined $30,000.

As for the golfer, he was arrested with two other business partners. They were sentenced, he was not

Trusted Contributor

By the way,  I am only bringing this up because in the other Marthe Stewart post there was a reference to Martha spending time in prison. I believe the question was why you would plead guilty if you were innicent. Not sure they were talking about Martha or Felicity. If they were talking about Martha I believe she tried to "fighf" all charges.

I just couldn't understand why the golfer wasn't at least fined.

Honored Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart

[ Edited ]

There are two sets of standards.  Depends on who you are. I know a lot who have done far worse and should be in prison and aren't.  

I followed her case very closely and not convinced she was guilty of insider trading or lying about it.  

Anyone hear of the "Innocence Project?"  Using DNA testing, they found so far about 15% in prison are not guilty.  Think of those innocent who have no evidence available for DNA.  Imagine being convicted of murder or anything you didn't do.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg    I heard about Phil Mickelson.I don't know the details. However,in the case of Martha Stewart she didn't go to jail for the insider trading. She actually went to jail for lying to the Federal investigators when they brought her in for questioning.If she had told them the truth they would not of charged her. She wasn't who they were after.They wanted the person who gave her the tips.Lying to the Feds is like lying under earth.

That's  what I heard , the FBI decided to sentence her on perjury  .  Well,  in recent times we see that other's can lie and get away with it .  Some attorneys  such as Alan Dershowitz say this is a fequent  tactic of the FBI  that law enforcement uses- set you up for perjury .

Honored Contributor

I had not heard about the Phil Mickelson case. So complicated. He had excellent lawyers.

Long article if anyone is interested:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape/amp

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44, Yet another reason for trying to live a life of honor.  And for telling the truth.  That way you do avoid a great deal of trouble, as well as worrying about how someone can “set you up for perjury.”  I am somewhat familiar with the lawyer you cited.  How can anyone set you up if you tell the truth?

Honored Contributor

I remember one of the things they harped on in Martha's case was that one document had something written in a pen with different ink.

Now in my working days I had several pens on my desk at any one time, and frequently had documents with different pen writings.

It's stuff like that that taken focus on one thing, people go to jail despite tons of evidence contrary to that fact.  

Some are accudes of abusing women, some are guilty and everybody knows it and nothing really happens to them.  Justice, it seems, is an imperfect ideal. Always has been.  No reason not to try to make it better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@skatting44, Yet another reason for trying to live a life of honor.  And for telling the truth.  That way you do avoid a great deal of trouble, as well as worrying about how someone can “set you up for perjury.”  I am somewhat familiar with the lawyer you cited.  How can anyone set you up if you tell the truth?

If you have heard recent statements  from Alan Dershowitz as he explains that it may not have someting to do with what you actually say . Perjury can be  based on if someone else says you said something and the judge or prosecutors believe the other persons words and not yours . It can also be based on maybe you forgot  a detail . Really does everyone remember every second of their life  in full detail  ?