Honored Contributor

Re: March Back Fence gathering - 2020

I went to the dentist for my cleaning and exam this morning.  Considering this is the first time in my life I've had 'individual dental' coverage (not part of a group) I was thinking less about what was going on during the cleaning and exam and more about guessing the ages of all of the crowns in my mouth, lol.

I used to have coverage that allowed replacement crowns every 5 years, now it's 7 years.

I'm fine, no cavities and I don't need to see them until 6 months from now for my next cleaning.  Whew!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Good for you Birdmama,I hate going to the dentist. I go next week. Also see my dr. For my checkup and get my order for my mammogram. 
hubby did the grocery shopping today,I'm lying o n they sofa with the heating pad . Sometimes this  back just stops me in my track,anyway,hubby does a good job.

nice out again today and the same tomorrow 

Respected Contributor

Well I am not going to sit outside but still am headed to the kitchen for a cinnamon/raisin bagel with cream cheese. Am a tad hungry.

Should be a decent day but am really tired of sweaters, etc every day. Well I know how it is here - stays up and down through the second week of June.

Hey, Davey passed his written test yesterday now to practice  - like he simply has to learn my car - to get his driving test. He only missed one question - was very impressed but chuckled when he told me what he had missed. It was the alcohol limit that nails so many. He had no clue. Funny.  I have NEVER let him drive but his Dad has since he was a very young boy - never agreed with it but am told he is an excellent driver. I am from the old school. You do not drive without a license. Ho hum. Am proud of him for doing so well. California written driving tests are quite tricky.

Have a good day everyone.

Honored Contributor

hey all

really not much today

chores done,walk in, clothes folded,lunch done and everything cleaned up that is up to the minute of what is going on here. later guys

Honored Contributor

Congratulations to Davey on passing his driver's written test @Winifred 

It's funny that you mention practice driving.  My sister and I were talking about learning how to drive and getting our license over the weekend.  There were 3 of us - birthyears 1956, 1960 and 1962. 

Dad started taking each of us practice driving on Belle Isle when we were 15 years old.  You needed nerves of steel with my Dad as your teacher.  I remember my eldest sister crying alot.  My middle sister sometimes looked traumatized when she came home.  I really didn't have a problem because when he would get cranky, I'd just stop the car and say, I'm not doing this with you yelling at me.  I was the defiant one Woman Very Happy

You had to go through driver's education to qualify for a permit.  My eldest sister and middle sister took driver's training that was offered at a high school not far from the one we all attended.  By the time it was my turn, they didn't have driver's training there and we had to hire a company that was among some recommended by my highschool.

It was pretty cut and dry.  Dad kept us secluded by driving on Belle Isle.  We had formal driver's training, got the permit and Dad took us driving on the streets and the freeway.  At 16 you got your license.  You took a written test and a driver's test with somebody from the Secretary of State in the car and that was it. 

In 1997, Michigan implemented something called graduated driver's licenses.  This explains it:

"Michigan's GDL program, instituted April 1, 1997, for teens younger than 18 years entering the driver license system, includes 3 licensure levels, each with driving restrictions and requirements to progress to the next level. Requirements include extended, supervised practice in the learning level, 2-phase driver education, and night driving restrictions in the intermediate level."

I've worked with women who had kids that got their license under this new program.  They complained about what a pain it was for them and their husbands to have to take the kids for supervised hours of driving in certain conditions.

I am so glad that I learned when I did and how I did.  My dad started the practice at age 15 because he was going to make darn sure he hit every season in Michigan.  We drove on hot days, cold days, rainy days and snowy days.  We drove before the crack of dawn and after the crack of dawn.

Respected Contributor

Gee Whiz - why is everyone else so young. I was born in January 1934

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winifred   You've raised grandkids, great grandkids and great great grandkids and I know, without a shadow of a doubt that before your illness and treatments you could run me into the ground regardless of birth year Heart

Honored Contributor

After two gloomy looking days at least the sun is shining this morning.  It's probably just me.....it's been warmer outside according to the thermometer out there on the wall but I still feel cold.  Woman Happy

I'm hoping the outdoor critters are enjoying it.  There is a skunk around here that must feel safe on my property.  It swung by some time on Monday night and I'm guessing something scared it because it sprayed somewhere on my property close enough to wake me out of a dead sleep Woman Surprised

I was able to open a window and both doors to kill some of the smell in the house but the basement - whooo, that took the longest to air out.

Respected Contributor

Good morning all. It is sunny and is supposed to get to 50 today.This week-end it will go up to 60!

I left some donuts and coffee,plus some tea at the fence.

Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama Yes, I watch the Day Shift.   Monk, Nash and Numbers are my favorites.  I used to watch Jag and House when they were primtime but can't seem to get into them as re-runs. 

Don Johnson is doing a 2 hour Nash Bridges re-boot on USA - not sure if its this year or next. Cheech Marin will be in it also....as a drug dealer.