Honored Contributor

Re: March 2017 - Lucky Spring at the Bird's Nest

That shoebill almost looks like a kid in a costume.  Another lanky tall bird :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And another dog saga.  Yesterday, the pups were in their patch, and I was weeding, looking over every once in a while.  Next I knew, Remmy was beside me, and I hurried to the girl, she laid down, so I put them both back, thinking they had escaped from the little gate as maybe I hadn't latched it tightly enough.

They had been digging for gophers for a few weeks, and the ground isvery soft after the recent rain, all of which helped them escape.

Remmy was whining, unusual, and I kept telling him to stop.  Just before I was going into the house to stay for a while, I looked at the patch, didn't see them, but decided they were in a corner looking down to the road as they often do.

Around 3:00, I received a phone call from a girl who said she had them.  I didn't think to ask her where they all were, dumb.  I hurried downstairs and down to the road looking up and down, made the mistake of not walking down the road and looking beyond the curve, if I had, I would have seen them.  I called Remmy over and over,  all the time wondering why the girl didn't call back when I hadn't appeared in such a while.

Back upstairs I went, got my car keys, and made another mistake by going up the road, asking a man walking his dog if he had seen a girl and two small dogs, no, he hadn't.  I drove all the way up the road and onto the main drive down to the crossing, turned left and drove down to my road, then drove up almost to home, and there was a teenage girl and two small girls.  Remmy was loose, but the girl was being held, so I thanked them profusely, all the time wondering how they escaped, and how I didn't hear or see something.  Remmy was so scared, I knew he would be as he is such a baby.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time, as the girl was due for a bath, happening today so I can take them for their nail clipping, I looked like heck, came down with DH's cold, so looked not at all like myself, my hair needed coloring, did that this morning, and on and on, LOL.

I couldn't find the spot they escaped from, but DH did and put clay pots in the hole.  There are tall weeds on the other side of the wire fence they pushed under.  Now, they have to stay inside until Sunday when DH can fix the fence, as I do not trust the little buggers.  they were panting like crazy when I reached them, a sign of severe anxiety, my previous dog was like this, but she was only next door and I kept talking to her as I walked down to the road and she came to me from the neighbor's property, panting like crazy.

Today, the pups have no interest in going outside, lol, must have scared them being away from home.

As I have said before, these pups are trying to do me in, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Dogs are like kids.  When they get too quiet, there is usually something up.

Glad they didn't get injured during this latest escapade.

Honored Contributor

Just a thought  @mousiegirl  You might wanna bell them.  Seriously, if they wear a collar (my Max never did), then see if you can find a bell charm and clip it on when you are gardening.  Non step bell ringing could be too annoying in the house.

Honored Contributor

Is it supper time yet?    I LOVE BLACK CATS  .. NONE OF MY 3 ARE BLACK ... SHALL I GET ONE MORE?:

Bernie,   Mousie will be belling the dogs, instead of the cat which is a poem or kid's story,  I don't remember but when you mentioned it to Mousie, I immediately thought of that,   Good idea, maybe a cow bell so they can't run too fast away from Mousie.   

Just Googled "Belling the Cat".   It's an Aesop's Fable.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, soakin' the pond water outside the school ;):

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Just a thought  @mousiegirl  You might wanna bell them.  Seriously, if they wear a collar (my Max never did), then see if you can find a bell charm and clip it on when you are gardening.  Non step bell ringing could be too annoying in the house.

@Bird mama That's a thought.  They wear collars with tags with my phone number on them.  I learned through rescue not to put the name on because it would be easy, if their name was used, for someone to take them,.

Respected Contributor

I think I have spook birds at my house. Have not seen any except I did see two crows earlier today. Just looked at the feeders and there is some feed gone but have not seen one single bird on or near those feeders.

For some reason - suspect I am just not resting enough - I feel a bit strained this evening. Have had to run here and there - like a MD appointment, etc and I am just worn out. Need to hit the sack early tonight.

Honored Contributor

Well we went from sunny and spring to sleet and winter in 24 hours.  This is exactly why I don't completely transition to spring/summer clothes until Memorial Day weekend, lol.

I have a duck couple that is coming by on the regular and I am seeing more mourning doves at dawn and dusk.  The squirrels are the same and I have no idea if Gerry the groundhog moves for the winter or just hibernates under the front porch - no signs of Gerry yet.

Honored Contributor

Last year, I had DH dividing the patch by a small portion, with a wire fence as is along another side of the patch, the other two sides are wood fencing.  Years ago, DH put wire at the bottom going into the soil so they couldn't dig out, but with the new fence, he did not do this, so while digging for gophers, they, should say the girl as I am sure it was she who dug out, probably saw the light at the end, lol, and kept going pushing under the wire fence. 

While thinking about this, I decided that the first time that day they escaped and came to me in the garden, they probably had dug out and I didn't realize it so put them back into the patch.  I also think that Remmy's whining, which he never does, was telling me something was going on out of the ordinary, next time I will listen. Smiley Happy

This Sunday, that fence will be wired in the same way as the other fence.  This is going to cut into planting time, which irks me no end, as there is a limited amout of time to plant before it gets hot and DH retreats to the rec room to paint.

If I take them to the patch tomorrow, depending on the weather, too cold and windy today, I will keep an eye on them and bring them in when I go in, otherwise they will remain inside until Sunday.

When I had rabbits, we had to line the entire bottom of the runs with wire so they couldn't dig out.

On a lighter note, I am going to grow potatoes this year in grow bags especially for potatoes, have a flap to open and reach in to get taters as needed.  At three plants per bag, four bags, there will be enough for us.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.Smiley Happy