Honored Contributor

Re: March 2017 - Lucky Spring at the Bird's Nest

Hello all, wow it was insane at work today, lol.

I'm experiencing something at home that I've never experienced in the 15 years that I lived here.  I don't know if it's because of the odd weather we had this winter.  I'm seeing ants, maybe 3-5 a day in the master bathroom upstairs.  I've had no windows open - where in the heck are they coming from.

I will probably buy ant traps and have to get creative about where I put them.  Grayson is nosey and checks everything unusual out. 

It's always something, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I would sure love to have Conrad back. Maybe I should call YAPS tomorrow to see what they have. NOPE, cannot handle a dog now but would love to have a Scottie - they are so adorable. May call just to say hello

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Hello all, wow it was insane at work today, lol.

I'm experiencing something at home that I've never experienced in the 15 years that I lived here.  I don't know if it's because of the odd weather we had this winter.  I'm seeing ants, maybe 3-5 a day in the master bathroom upstairs.  I've had no windows open - where in the heck are they coming from.

I will probably buy ant traps and have to get creative about where I put them.  Grayson is nosey and checks everything unusual out. 

It's always something, lol.

@Bird mama  How about thousands of ants!  Every summer, they come inside, and this year for the first time, they came in during winter.  I have tried so many different things to discourage them, and the numbers have decreased, but to have them come in twice a year and stay for months, horrible, to say the least.  I sweep them into the sink, no pain for them, instant kill, but others come in their place.

I remember my Mother telling me she opened her freezer and it was black with ants.  So consider yourself lucky, and after reading this, I am sure you will, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Thank you, I was thinking of going to bed.  I am now itching and scratching all over, rofl.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  Thank you, I was thinking of going to bed.  I am now itching and scratching all over, rofl.  

@Bird mama  LOL!  Once, in the middle of the night, DH jumped out of bed yelling he was getting the spray ant killer.  I hadn't wanted to use that stuff, but when they come into your bed and attack, and they BITE, then I let him do it.  I left the bedroom for an hour or so, as I am sensitive to chemicals.

Last year, I cut tons of lavender stems, stripped the flowers, and dried all.  I put the stems on the deck at the slider, and the flowers on the kitchen window sil and counter, and it worked to a degree, but they can travel under counter rims, tricky devils.  I never wanted to kill them as they are hard workers, but when I couldn't cook due to them, that was the last straw!  I bought lavender oil recently, and use a cotton ball to apply it under the rimss of the counter.

Next arsenal will be 4 tablespoons of olive oil to 1 tablespoon of mint extract, spending a small fortune on these dudes, lol.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I think I know where they are coming from.  I have a ceiling fan thing in the bathroom.  You know, you kick it on to get steam out if your shower is too hot - like an exhaust fan?  The one I got stopped working.  It's not like I used it alot, every once in awhile I'd flip it on.   Maybe a couple of times a year.  I know where the raid ant traps are going first, lol.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  I think I know where they are coming from.  I have a ceiling fan thing in the bathroom.  You know, you kick it on to get steam out if your shower is too hot - like an exhaust fan?  The one I got stopped working.  It's not like I used it alot, every once in awhile I'd flip it on.   Maybe a couple of times a year.  I know where the raid ant traps are going first, lol.  

@Bird mama  Interesting,  My bathrooms don't have those, but they will when they are redone, as I have been wanting them for years

The ants don't come through my range top fan, thank goodness.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Twitter - Comunidad - Google+:

Honored Contributor

Wednesday:

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@possummink   Awww love the shoes on the baby bird.  It always makes me feel good to see humans helping birds (especially).

@Bird mama @possummink I second that!Heart

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh