Honored Contributor

Sean McCann on Twitter: "Now that is a really bold squirrel! @SavannahOwls https://t.co/RWK2GqWXPH":

Hi Birding Friends,   The photo above isn't the sharpest nor is the lighting very good,  because it's taken from one of the 2 cameras on this nest.  On the right hand side of the nest is the nutty squirrel who has a death wish, I guess.  Mama Owl isn't one bit happy to see that dummy on the nest.  Her babies are protected  underneath her and she's all defensive.   

The squirrel was the first aggravating visitor to the nest today.  A red-bellied woodpecker came and then some crows got close to the nest and she started snapping her beak at them.  

She just finished feeding the two babies a small rat.   One of them gulped down the tail.   I couldn't believe he was able to do that, but he/she did after a bit.  Their eyes are starting to open now.   

Winifred,  I'm not fond of Mickey D's either, but my GSs loved those chicken nuggets too.  In fact for a long time that's all the oldest would order at any restaruant, chicken nuggets or chicken strips.  His diet has improved now that he's 22 and he tries new things often.   Took a long time.   He still orders hamburgers,  just the meat and the bun.  Nothing else on it.   I have to have mine loaded.  Love 'em that way.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Good Morning,

I can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonalds - seriously, it has to be nearly a decade, lol.

My husband used to make hamburgers at home and I would call him sometimes and say, you want fries with that?  He'd cook the burgers and I would bring some McDonalds fries home.  My burger of choice from a fast food front is Burger King.  I might have a burger from them once a month.  Whopper Junior with cheese, no mayo, heavy pickles :-)

Possummink, why do you suppose the squirrel is nagging the owl?  If I recall correctly, the squirrel was being a PITA since she started nesting before the babies hatched? 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The bird of the day sports my favorite color combination - browns and greys together.  I give you the Jackal Buzzard

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

:

Honored Contributor

SavannahOwls March, 7,2016:

Bernie,  The only sane (squirrel wise) thing I can think of is that the squirrel must have babies somewhere nearby and wants the owl to leave,  Fat chance of that happening.  You are right though,  that squirrel has been there almost from the beginning.   I can't believe it got that close to the owl though.   I wonder if the Papa owl was nearby?   He'd have easily caught that crazy squirrel.  

Honored Contributor

Re: March 2016 Birds Nest

[ Edited ]

SavannahOwls  Oldest Great Horned Owlet's eyes have opened today  March 7, 2016:

I forgot to mention that in the photo before the owls,  the Gray Parrot on Tasha Tudor's shoulder reminded me of Grayson.  I don't know if Grayson sits on your shoulder or not, but I thought it was so cute.  When I first looked at the photo,   I thought it was a pigeon, but then put my glasses on and took a better look.  

The oldest owlet's eyes opened today.  The youngest should open probably on Wednesday.  They are growing so fast.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl

Jesus Mousie, that's cryptic.  I hope you and yours are okay or will soon be okay.

@Bird mama  I had a medical emergency, pretty scary.  I just got home after spending three days in the hospital, but I am on the mend now. Smiley Happy  The pups were hysterical to see me, lol.

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl, glad to see you back - also do thank you for the warning you would be gone. Maybe I am weird but I do not panic when someone lets us know they will be gone a spell. Curious, you bet, but so glad you let us know. Now I truly sweat the posters who were here day after day and then disappear - still worry about these people - miss them a lot as they all had a lot to offer. Also the ones who use to stop by daily and perhaps only stop by once in a while now - also wish they would get back here and keep us company.

Speaking of keeping company, the birds outside need their food supply replenished. Too wet and cold to get out there but if it stops will get them filled again. After having a long warm spell it sure got really cold again - 29 degrees at my house this morning. Brrr!

Also cannot put the maverick kitties outside - their outside enclosure is not rainproof PLUS they would probably freeze out there. Are they spoiled? You bet!!! But Conrad and the kitties have all gotten up and had their early morning treats and Conrad went outside. I think age is creeping up on Conrad, however. He scared me yesterday. I have always felt he had a hearing problem and he was sound asleep yesterday and I called him - he was on my bed, where else? - to go outside before I went to pick up Davey. Scared me as he would not move and his eyes were wide open. I was touching him and nothing and started watching him and saw he was breathing. So started rubbing him harder and up he popped. He is also sometimes having trouble getting from his top step onto the bed. Guess I now have to go and see if there is a doggy step ladder a bit higher than the one I have. If not will have to figure out something - perhaps a block of wood under the steps.

Possum, always enjoy your owl pictures, actually enjoy all your pictures. Enjoy everyone's pictures actually.

Stay warm everyone!!!