Respected Contributor

Re: Mammogram precautions for covid 19?

@chiclet wrote:

I am past due for a mammogram but am in Florida and scared to go have one.  In the past they are inches from your face doing it.  Anyone had one recently and how are they handling it.  I am also due for a Ct of the chest but they don't have to get close for that.

I had mine done July 1st.  It's at a breast care center within a local hospital.  But it's in an area where there really aren't any patients.  The times of been at that hospital, there hasn't been many people around.  When I first walked in the door, there's a desk.  They ask what you're there for, confirm appointment, take your take, and ask a couple of questions (any cough, runny nose, etc).  I was the only person waiting in the breast care center.  I got called back pretty quickly and was the only one waiting after putting on the robe.  The technician cannot stay 6 feet apart, there is no way that's going to happen because of what she has to do but she was as cautious as possible and wore a mask.  When I left, I was still the only patient there.  I made my mammogram appointment in May and didn't get schedule till July. 

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Regardless of precautions - instead of a mammogram, consider a thermography scan. It catches things years sooner and is painless. It may not be covered by insurance but your health and peace of mind is worth it.

@ThinkingOutLoud    This is especially helpful to save women from getting countless biopsies.... The themography will tell you if the area is hot or not.... and  if not hot.... biopsy is not necessary.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

Me either. If my technician wants to perform some sort of hands off mamo, I'll cancel the appointment.

Sounds like some medical facilities are trying to keep the money rolling in regardless of the level of care

With the virus surging I have zero interest in any MD, DDS, lab appt. They stress & emphasize safety and compliance with OSHA standards. But, Dr. Fauci won't do this why do I think I or "they" know better? Makes no sense.

Respected Contributor

I had one a month ago.  Was instructed to wait in my car till they called me to come in. Temp taken, procedure was done as usual with the tech wearing a mask, I was out in 5 minutes.  Felt completely safe.

Honored Contributor

I had my mammogram last Wednesday. I felt totally comfortable.  We both wore masks and her contact with me was minimal.  I made the appointment in February, along with my yearly gyno vist appointment.  I do those appointments back to back.  I never gave a thought at all to rescheduling. 

And the results were normal and that was a relief.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Had mine a month ago, I was 3 months past due and was very glad to go, of course the facility had precautions taken. There is no way not to have the tech get very close to you, it is what it is. All of my firends have gone recently too. 

Honored Contributor

I have no qualms about having this test. My tests are always done in the facility where I retired from, by employees I know well. All precautions will be taken for all patients to be tested safely.
Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Regardless of precautions - instead of a mammogram, consider a thermography scan. It catches things years sooner and is painless. It may not be covered by insurance but your health and peace of mind is worth it.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Thermography is NOT a substitute for a mammogram. 

...the American Academy of Thermology (AAT) issued a position statement on breast thermography.

“There are established indications for breast thermography when performed in adherence with AAT Guidelines,” said Executive Director Jeffrey J. Lefko  in the statement.

“The AAT does not condone representations or evaluations that are performed in contradiction to these guidelines, including the fundamental fact that breast thermography is not and has never been endorsed by the AAT as a stand-alone assessment,” he continued.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I had a mammogram a few weeks ago.  My temp was taken at the hospital entrance and I was asked the usual questions about my health and travel, then sent to the department. 

nothing about the actual procedure was different, other than both the tech and I wearing masks. Of course she had to touch me to position me.  That's a necessary part of the exam 

Valued Contributor

I cancelled my mammogram twice and I'm past due by 3 months.  They told me they wear masks and a shield.  Every time I have one the woman has to adjust my shoulder and that bothered me getting close to me now.  I've had breast cancer and always go on time.  So I ordered some face shields and I do have masks and will wear both.  Think not getting it may be worse.  I'm due for a dexa scan too but no one every touches me when I get that except for my ankle and I'm sure she will have on gloves.  My GP just sent an email yesterday that I'm past due for my yearly.  I guess I should have gone in but was told to hold off a few months ago.